We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiltop camp

Belgium
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hiltop camp

Hi,

I've been looking for accomodation in Hluhluwe umfolozi. Hiltop camp is supposed to be the most recent camp but from the photos i can find (very few) it all looks so old & run down. Masinda looks nice but then not too much photos to find on the net either. I don't like booking something without knowing what it looks like on the inside. Anybody got some good tips to choose decent (clean & modern) accomodation in Hluhluwe. Or do 'clean & modern' just not go hand in hand with Hluhluwe?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiltop camp

I stayed at Hilltop in October and while it wasn't the most modern of camps or luxurious, it was tidy, clean and had everything you needed. I'm quite fussy about the places I stay and I thought it was fine. Quite spacious and we had a lovely view from our chalet across the valley. I can send you some pics of our chalet if you like? I didnt add them on here as there isnt an option to review Hilltop on TA - unless I missed it!

Belgium
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiltop camp

It might be reassuring to see some photos. You can leave them in my TA mailbox. Thanks a lot!

Kent UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiltop camp

I would recomend hilltop camp - we spend 2 nights there and found it very good.

There are various grades of accomodation - we were in a chalet with en-suite, twin beds, balcony, safe, fridge etc. The window and balcony overlooking thousands or hectares of the park - fabulous. It was a little rustic (wooden beams and thatch for roof) but clean, very large and very comfortable. The bathroom was good with plenty of hot water and a good shower over the bath.

Grounds were well kept and very tidy.

Food was good with an extensive buffet for both breakfast and dinner. The restaurant overlooks a water hole and we had zebra for company at one breakfast.

The swimming pool looks very clean and inviting but to be honest we were too busy during our stay there looking at the wildlife to use it.

Talking of wildlife it sometimes comes to you. On the morning we left we were having a look around and a bush buck (small deer looks just like bambi) was in the camp grazing - it was following the monkeys around eating the leaves they tore of the trees looking for fruit. We got within about 3 feet of it!

As a final point I was amazed to find that despite being miles from anywhere other than the bush I got a good mobile (cell) phone signal and was able to phone the kids at home!

I will try to post some photos to you, if I can find out how.

Belgium
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiltop camp

Hi, some photos would be nice. I booked already at hilltop but wanted a non self catering chalet. They were already taken so i had to settle for a self catering one. Hope it will be ok. I can always send you my mailaddress in a private message if you want for these photos.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiltop camp

Could not work out how to send photos to you. If you PM me with your email address I will send them.

Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
171 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiltop camp

We just returned from SA and spent 2 nights at Hilltop Camp. The non-self catering rooms were not available so we got a 2 bedroom self catering chalet. It was very clean and we ate from the buffet. Given the location of this camp, it's a great place to base yourself.

After staying here and seeing the accomodations, I wish we would have brought in some groceries from town, especially for breakfast and lunch.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiltop camp

Hi I've been to Hilltop several times the last time being 2000, the huts are rustic but the chalets are beautiful and fully equipped. Now Umfolozi is a great place but the accommodation is rustic but it is clean, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Regards, Barb

8. Re: Hiltop camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 14:18