We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phinda vs. Thanda

Which Hluhluwe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
1 post
Save Topic
Phinda vs. Thanda

I'm going on a honeymoon in May and trying to decide whether to stay at

phinda rock

phinda vlei

phinda forrest

thanda

Has anyone been to more than 1 of these and have some good comparison points. The thanda rooms/patios seem to be a lot nicer, but phinda seems to be popular. Any thoughts?

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phinda vs. Thanda

Greetings Taylorand,

I was just at Phinda last week and stayed at Mountain and Forest Lodges and also toured Rock and Vlei. I also stayed at Thanda last year. If you are planning on staying for more than two days I recommend Phinda. The reason is the incredible diversity of landscapes and activities. You are correct regarding the rooms at Thanda, they are gorgeous and it is a fabulously beautiful lodge, I'm sure you would love staying there. However, the lodges at Phinda are also spectacular and there you get the great diversity of activities and landscapes which comes into play if you are staying more than a couple nights, I also found the game viewing better at Phinda. Phinda Lodges - Mountain and Rock are close to each other, Mountain is larger and has more of a social scene, bigger bar and lounge area, larger dining room, rooms are large with private plunge pools and nice views; Rock is much smaller with a more private feel, very nice rooms, private plunge pools, adobe style with nice wooden doors, lounge is very small and quaint. Forest and Vlei are close to each other, Forest is incredible, glass rooms in the middle of the sand forest, very private feel as rooms are a distance from each other, but no private pools just a large pool for the whole camp. Vlei is a similar feel but much smaller with very large private plunge pools which is nice for honeymoon, the bathrooms are gigantic and the rest of the room very nice but not totally glassed like Forest. For a private honeymoon I would recommend Forest or Vlei, for more interaction with other travelers Forest. Mountain is definately the biggest and most social. Between the small camps, Vlei and Rock I recommend Vlei. Forest is outstanding and smaller than Mountain, glass rooms in the middle of the sand forest are spectacular. I recommend Forest or Vlei for your honeymoon, Vlei is very small and private, Forest is also private but larger, meaning more people at meals, etc. - the big difference for you is the private plunge pools at Vlei versus the large public pool at Forest. All Phinda camps offer outstanding game viewing, sunset boat cruises, fishing, scuba as well as beach activities and turtle drives in season. Each camp offers all activities and during your stay your game drives will cover all different ecosystems, meaning no matter what camp you are at you will traverse the same areas during your stay. Phinda is gigantic so even if you stay many days the diversity will always be new and fresh! Final analysis - I absolutely loved the glass rooms at Forest and the camp is wonderful but I think for a honeymoon you would enjoy Vlei because of the private plunge pools and very small intimate feel. Hope this helps.

Matt Bracken-safari consultant-Travel Beyond

2. Re: Phinda vs. Thanda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 04:20