We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Somerset
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Hi,

We are off to Hilltop camp in Hluluwe hopefully(if room) in August this year. has anyone stayed in a 2-bed rondavel? are they ok for 3 nights/safe?

Also, any thoughts on car hire....IS ANY car good enough to drive around the game reserve? any suggestions welcome

Thanks

j

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Hluhluwe is one of the nicest safari destinations in South Africa in August. Warm, dry, not too hot, not too humid. Fantastic game viewing (one of the highest concentrations of rhino anywhere in the world). And very close to some exceptional nature reserves and the St. Lucia Wetland Park (a world heritage site). Definitely one of my favourite reserves. (We once had 5 rhinos facing us side by side, at a distance of less than 8m).

Hilltop camp is great, and your rondavel will be very adequate. It's reasonably small usually, but you'll generally be spending your time outdoors (barbeques in the evening, etc.). They are safe.

The road network is fine and you'll be able to travel almost everywhere in a normal sedan. Plus you'll be able to drive to St. Lucia or some of the other places nearby.

Somerset
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Thanks for the quick respose! much appreciated.

heard lots of bad things about Durban!!safety etc.... are we safe enough picking our hire car up from the airport and driving to Ballito?

Any thoughts appreciated

J

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Hi J,

You'll be fine travelling from the airport to Balito. You pick-up the freeway directly outside the airport and follow the North Coast Freeway (N2) northwards. Balito is signposted. I think it's about 60kms from the airport. No problem!

Enjoy!

Somerset
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Thanks

J

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

I would rather drive from Durban airport to the northern KZN coast and Hluhluwe than around most of the cities here in the UK. The dual carriageways are fine, not as hectic as most of our city ring roads and well signed.

Despite other posts on this forum, we go to Durban every two years and feel safe driving around. We usually hire something like a VW Polo, even for the Park. You ask about "safety" in the park. We've never had a problem but I wouldn't advise leaving valuables in the rooms (generally sound advice anyhwere?). We've stayed for several nights - just be prepared to entertain yourselves.

Hilltop is great. The simple rondavels have a fridge to keep your food in if you wish to cook for yourselves or picnic (to say nothing of keeping the beers/G&Ts cold!). Stock up before going into the park. We usually use the Spar in Hluhluwe town but anywhere would do.

Somerset
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Many Thanks for all the sound advice. much appreciated

j

Somerset
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Hi safarifriend,

Just booked our 2 bed rondavel on your advice- looks fun. They look quite a way from main reception and restaurant!! is it walkable?not got a scale map...

secondly- did you book any day/night drives before you got there... etc is it worth it if you have a car anyway?

thanks

jackadee

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Hi,

I stayed at Hilltop, and everything in the camp is walkable to the main guest / restaurant areas.

We booked a night drive when we arrived - if you want to do any guided drive, this would probably be the one I would recommend, as self-drive visitors are not allowed out in their own vehicles after dark, and going on a guided game drive means you may get to see the nocturnal creatures or even leopards and lions hunting if you are really lucky !

Tracey Campbell - Director, Travel Butlers

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

I second everything that tracey has said. the night drive was great. just remember to take something warm to wear (including a hat if you get cold ears!). Being hardy brits from the north we even braved the pool. I'm sure you'll have a good time. Stock up before you go and make good use of your fridge - there's nothing like a cool beer or G&T outside the rondavel as evening approaches (any excuse eh!).

Somerset
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hluluwe Hilltop camp and hire car

Thanks guys

The G&T sounds good!

J