We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

Annapolis, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

My husband and I are planning a trip to Zulu Nyala at the end of June 2013 and we would like to bring our 3 school aged children ages 7, 10, and 12. I am a little worried about Malaria.. and was wondering if anyone else has traveled to South Africa and stayed Zulu Nyala with children? If so do they have any advise for me?

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
34 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

If you're worried about malaria, then just rather take your kids to the doctor and get the right medication prescribed for them. At the very least it will give you peace of mind and allow you to enjoy your trip without the any worrying thoughts in the back of your mind.

The area that Zulu Nyala is in, is considered medium to low risk, more on the low-risk side though. I travel a number of times a month to the area, working mostly in the Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park and have yet to have had a problem, or come across a problem.

Being a low risk area, it's all about prevention, as in wearing long sleeved shirts and long trousers, as well as using an insect repellent.

For more info, have a look at...

malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/…risk_maps.html

Shelldon

Country and Coastal Touring

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

Hello and the above post is exactly right. I have not stayed at Zulu Nyala but have stayed in the area a lot. and try to visit twice a year. In the recent 'dry times' the region has experienced I have not taken anything for malaria. June is mid winter and should be dry. I contribute to a web site dedicated to the province and on our advice page there is a link to www.fco.gov.uk with government advice. Our site www.safarikzn.com which you might find useful for your visit.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

Thank you for the advise. We are now planning our trip and would prefer not to take any drugs. I worry about the side effects of the malaria medication. If we do decide to take medication is there any particular one we should steer clear of?

Thanks,

Amy

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

Hi we went to Zimbabwe earlier this year with our 8 year old son. We were advised to take malarone & he was given the pediatric one. They also advised to take with a glass of milk. We all took the course with no side effects at all. Malarone is better than other options as you don't need to start it long before you enter a malaria risk area - I think it was 24 hours.

Personally I would rather take a good anti-malarial medication than contract malaria.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

Amy, the South African dept of health issued a very detailed document in 2011 which will answer your questions. We always read up widely before visiting for jabs etc as IMO many docs are over-cautious and do not know the specifics of every region in each country and their seasonal specifics.

doh.gov.za/docs/…malaria_prevention.pdf

We are just coming to the end of a 6 week stay in SA. Each time we visit we check with folks in KZN on the current situation and they agree that the above info is still current. June is low risk time (climatic conditions for breeding and transmission are between Sept and May) and if you check the map on p30 you will see that you are outside of the area where you would need meds anyway even in season. Therefore, the SA gov do not recommend malaria tablets only bite avoidance.

6. Re: Taking Children to Zulu Nyala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 14:17