We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bentley on the Beach - BE AWARE!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
3 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Bentley on the Beach - BE AWARE!

It appears that Bentley on the Beach ( aka Beachfront Accommodation or Beach Belle ) does not have a TripAdvisor page so it is difficult to post a review and, trust me, you'll want to know about our experience.

Do Not Stay At This Guesthouse!

We booked this guesthouse after looking at their website ( www.beachfront.org.za ) and yes, we booked into the budget accommodation based on the pics and the thought that if the B&B is 4 star graded then the budget accommodation can't be that bad.... How wrong we were!

The rooms looked like they had been shut for 6 months - they stank of old musty air; there were no curtains in some rooms; superficially clean but don't look closely; the room configuration was all wrong and we had to ask for additional beds even though we booked for the correct number of people; our bedside lamps were both not working and we asked on 3 occasions for these to be replaced - no luck. Here is the worst - the whole place is an electrical hazard - they run everything off extension leads - EVEN the air-conditioners! This is a fire risk. Everything seemed like it was in a state of over-use ... everything looked tired and unkept.

The location, even though right next to the sea, is not ideal for swimming as the beach is not a swimming beach and keep your head down, the airport is right next door.

They had hopelessly overbooked the place and breakfasts 3 out of 4 mornings was a shambels in that we were told that we could not have breakfast at the times we wanted, we had to come later. 20 odd school kids booked in on the Monday which just added to the nightmare.

The staff did try however to make our stay comfortable but the Owners were nowhere to be seen. When we checked out, I did finally meet the Owner and gave her my feedback.

It really was not a pleasant stay and we were considering moving out after 1 night but moving 13 people on Easter Sunday was a nightmare.

I am still trying to get confirmation from the SA Tourism Council IF they have an actual 4 star grading at Bentel on the Beach - so far, no luck.

12 replies to this topic
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bentley on the Beach - BE AWARE!

Colusion (sic) is also a bit much. The Group who went to Bentley were apparently 17 people according to Shirley, so could be two independent reviews, or two reviews from the same group of people. Whichever is irrelevant, as the reviews are valid contributions to TA

One could possibly argue that Bushkid0 is 'in collusion' with Shirley, as I understand you are a Tour Operator - and could well be the "regular tour operator with fifteen overseas guests" she refers to.

My point is that anyone should be able to post reviews on TA without being criticised unnecessarily.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bentley on the Beach - BE AWARE!

Looking forward to trying out your Budget Beach House in December / Jan :) I will leave my review after the visit, but I am absolutely willing to give you guys a fair chance based on this reply :)

Reply to: Bentley on the Beach - BE AWARE!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Umhlanga Rocks