We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Town to Knysna

Binfield
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Cape Town to Knysna

Please forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times before.

We are considering a trip between Cape Town and Port Eleizabeth. We want ot tour the garden route and contemplated using Knysna as the staging point. What I cannot seems to find is any way of establishing journey times (by car) between:

Cape Town and Knysna

Knysna and Port Elizabeth

Knysna and Oudtshoorn

Can anyone please advise or point me in the direction of a journey planner that will help.

Thank you in anticipation

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Town to Knysna

Cape Town to Knysna on N2: 6 hrs

Knysna & PE: 3 hrs

Knysna & Oudtshoorn: 1.5 hrs

I would recommend going from Cape Town on Route 62 via Montagu, Oudtshoorn, then over to coast, Knysna and then on to PE.

Binfield
Level Contributor
7 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Town to Knysna

That's really helpful advice. I will follow your recommendation. Thank you.

Johannesburg, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Town to Knysna

I read soem excellent advise from the experts. I need route assistance as well. We are going for a holiday at the Garden Route in Dec (first timers). We are travelling from Johannesburg. Our first destination is Jeffreys's Bay. From the maps we've examined, it appears that the best route would be to through Colesburg (N1) - Middelburg (N9-N10) - Graaf-Reinet (R63) - Jansenville (R75)- Uitenhage (R334) - Jeffreys' Bay (N2). Is this a good route and is it safe? We are totally in the dark here...any advise will be appreciated !!!!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Town to Knysna

HI ISTS

Welcome to the TA Forums. It's not clear if you are living in Johannesburg and comeing down to the coast for vacation or whether you are coming from Overseas and this is part of a bigger trip.

The drive is going to take you much of two days without any sightseeing stops so if coming from overseas I would seriously think of flying down to PE and hiring a car there. Kulula or 1Time have good priced flights and off-peak (ie middle of the day) these prices are sometimes matched by SAA or BA. Use a price comparison site such as www.saflights.co.za to find the cheapest flight on the day but then go to the airlines own site and book there as saflights and similar web bookers add a booking fee.

Of course if you are driving down from Joburg in your own vehicle this is a different proposition. The route you have given is certainly the quickest although, you probably know that the first 750km or so along the N1 is mostly pretty boring through the "endless" Great Karoo.

You ask is it safe. I notice that you are driving down in December. Hopefully this is not the first day or so of the school holidays. It is definitely not safe to drive Johannesburg to Jeffreys Bay in one go - unless you have at least three drivers. It is close to 1,200km and will take a minimum of 15 hours non-stop. The N1 route has only a few short stretches of Motorway and the rest is single carriageway. This is a main truck route and you will be passing big trucks every couple of minutes. At night there are plenty of vehicles on the road with poor, or even no, lights.

Every year when the schools break up for summer holidays in December many families pack the family, the pets and the kitchen sink into the car and head off, the day school breaks up, for their annual holiday in the Cape. You will hear the boasts that they only took 17 or 16 or even 15 hours, Joburg to Cape Town, this year.

The next day in the newspapers you see the lists of the families that didn't actually make it but died in horrendous crashes as the driver underestimated a truck or just fell asleep!

Don't drive without, at least one overnight and preferably two!

Johannesburg, South...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Town to Knysna

Dear Van_de_Caap,

Thank you for your advise. We are actually South Africans living and traveling from Johannesburg and we are definately staying over at Colesberg!! I Just was not sure about the route we picked- like does it go through dodgy areas (no map can tell you this) we are really looking forward to this "roadtrip" and I just want to make sure it's the quickest and safest route. coming from Joannesburg it may sound crazy to worry about safety, but wer'e leaving the guns and dogs at home... Thanx a mil for your reply

Selwyn Davidowitz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape Town to Knysna

Stonefox

If you go to http://www.ilovecapetown.com/gr.htm you will find all that you need to know with regard to a journey planner and dsiatncs between places on the Cape Town to Port Elizabeth route.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your Western and Eastern Cape holiday.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Very proudly part of the wonderful rainbow nation of South Africa

7. Re: Cape Town to Knysna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Wilderness