We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

Harrow, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

I am looking to stay for two nights in either of these locations along the garden route. I cannot decide which to do. Wilderness is apparently the best beach, however apparently you cannot swim in it due to currents and jellyfish?! The Beach backpackers hostel I am looking at in Victoria Bay is literally right on the Beach which looks cool, and the Beach appears a bit more secluded and you can swim / surf in the bay. However many tour guides say that Wilderness is a must see, and the Wilderness beach hostel seems just as cool. Having never been there I cannot decide. Any Advice anyone?

Edited: 20 January 2014, 00:55
6 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

I have driven past the Wilderness a lot over years and thought that the beach is much better, which is indeed, but I have visited Victoria Bay also recently, i would say for what you want to do, is Victoria best suited. I have to agree it is much secluded then the beaches along the strip in the Wilderness, but you will be able to enjoy a much better surfing experience than in the Wilderness. My vote will then go to Victoria Bay, but also at the same time, The Wilderness is just around the corner for a day visit, 15mins drive or even less.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Edited: 20 January 2014, 05:41
Bloemfontein, South...
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

Hi Chris

Victoria Bay is one of the best beaches in SA when it comes to swimming and surfing. The only problem is that it can get really crowded because of it's popularity and being a small beach. There is also nothing to do in Vicbay.

I have been going to Wilderniss for holiday since I was a kid, and have to say the beach is not the safest for swimming due to rip currents. However, If you stay in the designated areas and abide by the safety rules you will be fine.

My advise would be to stay in the Wilderniss area and go to Vicbay for a day trip.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

Both are beautiful. Vic Bay has always been popular with surfers.

Harrow, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

I am not sure I will be surfing, but am up for a swim. I am tending towards Vic Bay just cause the Hostel is literally on the beachfront, and the beach still looks awesome, but I am going to be there on the Easter weekend which apparently can get quite busy. But I am by myself, so it may be cool to meet a few people. Maybe I will be able to go to Wilderness one afternoon for a bit, but if thats' 15 mins by car, which I do not have, I'm guessing it is quite a long walk, if that is possible.

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

We have stayed in Wilderness and the beach is superb. But if you planning to stay over the Easter weekend it might well be full on the beach with the local black South Africans if they celebrate it as a bank holiday.

We drove through Wilderness on New Years Day and it was very crowded and the road junction blocked with locals. I didn't see any trouble but it might me something to consider !

You will enjoy which ever you choose - it's a great country.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Victoria Bay or Wilderness?

Vic Bay is better for swimming or surfing but Wilderness is more spectacular for walks etc... both are great and VERY close (about 10-15mins by car between the two)

Reply to: Victoria Bay or Wilderness?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wilderness