We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to game reserves in hoedspruit?

Which Hoedspruit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to game reserves in hoedspruit?

Hi

I'm visiting friends who live in Hoedspruit but they're only going to have been there for a week or so before we arrive! My partner has never been on safari, so I want to do this.

However, what i can't work out is whether you can go to the game reserves in the area without staying in their on-site lodges? I've only ever been to the big places (like Kruger) before, where you don't have to be staying there to go in.

Also - does anyone know, what are the chances of seeing big 5 in these smaller reserves?

We could go to Kruger but I hadn't realised how many other smaller ones were in the area!

Also, only there for 3 nights total..!

Thanks so much for any help on this.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to game reserves in hoedspruit?

Hi there,

Yipeee! I live 30 mins out of Hoedspruit, it's a wonderful little town - I really hope you enjoy it! Make sure to check out the Hat & Creek for some great food.

You could of course go the Kruger National Park for a day entering through Orpen Gate (45 minutes or so out of town). However, the major private reserves do not allow day visitors/day game viewers in.

There are companies however that organize drives in some of the smaller reserves - check out Eastgate tours, or send them a message at bookings@eastgatesafaris.co.za.

They can help you out.

Hope you have a great time!

Warm regards

Jacqui

london
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to game reserves in hoedspruit?

Jacqui

that's really helpful, thanks! You are so lucky to live there! It looks sooo amazing.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to game reserves in hoedspruit?

Hi there,

It really is such a great little town, with such a fun vibe. We've just got out first sushi bar too, can you believe! We're like a real little place now.. Ha ha!

Warm regards

Jacqui l Owner & Founder l Lodge Trackers

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to game reserves in hoedspruit?

Anyone know if there are rafting/kayaking trips available in Blyde Canyon in mid May? Or are the water levels not cooperative during that month?

5. Re: Day trips to game reserves in hoedspruit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 11:15
Get answers to your questions about Hoedspruit