We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria in hoedspruit

Which Hoedspruit hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
malaria in hoedspruit

Hello,

I will be volunteering with an animal conservation group in Hoedspruit. The work will include working late at night in various areas around Limpopo. We will also take a trip to Kruger. I will be there from May-August. Do I need to take malaria pills?

Thanks for your help

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

It will be the dry season and wintertime. Then are no mozzie, just use the deet, or ask your travel klinic

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

Most of us would say that winter is the time when mosquitoes are not as active. Most of us would be more relaxed than during the summer. But advising someone else what to do - not a good idea. If you get the idea from our comments that the danger might be less - and then you do contract malaria - we have done a disservice to you. Let me speak about what I do and why. I spray all exposed skin, even socks during the summer. Especially early and late in the day. In the winter, I am more relaxed and probably don't think much about the protective measures.

But you need to be relaxed. And if you have any uncertainty about whether to use medications or spray - then use them.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 00:00
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

Hi,

I live right here in Hoedspruit - What organization are you volunteering with?

As I say, I live here, and I do as Dave does. I second everything he says. I usually use barrier methods in the summer, and am more relaxed in winter.

I must say however that it is now late March, and my yoga teacher contracted malaria from the center of town last week, so one never really knows.

Warm regards

Jacqui

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

We have had very good rain fall in the area this year and thus I expect they might live a little longer this year.

The area is classified as a malaria area, and Hoedspruit might not be that bad but going closer to the Kruger or further north does increase the risk.

I would suggest to the following, if you don't want to get malaria take precautions, for three months medication is not a train smash, cover up at night and use insect replant soap.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

Well just spray yourself with deet, and taking anti malaria pill doesnot mean you cannot get sick at all. you never can sau that. But in the winter time is is really not bad and relax about it.

When we are going in the winter time, we just take deet with us. Thats all.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

Even the SA dept of Health recommends only bite prevention measures in June dry months.

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

I have no spleen, i have been told i cannot fight malaria, Will taking the tablets that are recommended for malaria, help at all

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
824 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

I think with your medical problems, you should seek advise from a Doctor that knows you, sometimes one has to say it may be safest to stay in areas with no malaria. There are game reserves in Northern Kwazulunatal, Eastern Cape and Pilanesberg which are malaria free and would be safer. Few people posting on here will know the risks someone who has had a splenectomy faces.

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

Thank you very much for your response, it is greatly appreciated

10. Re: malaria in hoedspruit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2017, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Hoedspruit