We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Federal Air

Somerset, England
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Federal Air

Hi,

Can anybody tell me more about flying with Federal Air from Johannesburg to Jock Safari Lodge in Kruger Park? We have a flight booked but the travel agent mentioned that they only allow soft bags on the aircraft.

As we are staying in Cape Town after we have visited Kruger we are going to have suitcases with us. Does that mean we won't be allowed to take them on the plane to Kruger?

It would be great if anybody could give advice on what kind of bags to take with us and how heavy.

Thanks,

Cider

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Federal Air

Most small planes only allow soft bags. This is normal across Africa.

My advice would - Don't bring suitcases if you want to go on a small plane. They might not fit.

You are allowed about 10kgs (this varies), but your agent will confirm. This may not seem a lot, but I have never needed 10kgs in several trips. Remember that you will only need light clothing, and laundry is often included in the price of the Lodge. No-one expects you to take 2 changes of clothes per day, every day.

Enjoy

Somerset, England
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Federal Air

Thanks for the advice Peter. When you say soft bags, does that include rucksacks? Also as I will be on honeymoon would my future wife and I be allowed 10 kg each or between us? I will check with my travel agent but they don't seem too sure.

Thanks,

Cider

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Federal Air

So is a big, huge backpack considered a soft bag?

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Federal Air

Yes a backpack is a soft bag. It can be squeezed into tight spots. You have 10kg's each. If you are going to CT via Jhb, you can arrange to lock up excess baggage at Johannesburg International.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Federal Air

They will hold our bags at the airport while we're at Kruger? What about the pillaging of luggage problem. Need we worry if we leave it?

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Federal Air

As far as I know you hire a locker

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Federal Air

Cider

Ive taken suitcases on Fedair before now without a problem. They use fairly large planes (Caravans/King Air) so you shouldnt have a problem.

You can also store luggage with Fedair direct as they have their own terminal with safe storage facilities. So you can just take an 'overnight' bag for your safari and leave the rest of your stuff with them safely. Thats assuming you are flying back with Fedair from the bush of course!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Federal Air

We are taking a small plane from Jo'Burg to the park and when we return, we are flying from a different small airport (starts with a "K") to Cape Town. Will any of the small light aircraft companies transport your luggage to another airport via van or car for you? If not, packing is going to be a problem for me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Federal Air

Hmmm, im really not too sure about that one im afraid. Try and contact federal Air and ask them. I am sure that its possible for a small charge.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Federal Air

Well, I just contacted my agent and asked about regular luggage where the handle pulls up and and you roll it. It is soft but does not contort. Do you know what I'm talking about? The regular suitcases most people have these days.

They said it would be ok but I'm not sure if they understand...