We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in Kruger in December - help !

London, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in Kruger in December - help !

Wondered if anyone out there can help me. Im planning a dream trip to the Kruger National Park and the only time of year I can go is 1st Dec for 1 week.

My tour operator convinces me that its a good timeof year to see the BIG 5...but I read on websites that because of heavy rainfall, the game do not need to search for water and sightings are not so great.

I really do not want to go at this time of year and regret that I did not get the most out of my dream trip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Mentioned in this post
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

Hi there! Well, there are pro's and con's to doing a safari in Kruger that time of the year! The bush will be green and lush, and many of the animals will have babies! The birdlife will also be prolific. It could be very hot though, and there could be the odd late afternoon thundershower. Will you be staying in Kruger Park camps, or will you be staying at a private safari lodge? You can see the big 5 any time of year. I definately wouldn't say that December is a better time to see them though! You are correct that it can be more difficult to find the animals if you are in Kruger at that time of the year, because they don't congregate at the water sources as they would in the dry season and the summer growth of the bush will make it more difficult to spot the animals on your own.

Game viewing will be much better at the private reserves that form part of the Greater Kruger National Park (Timbavati & Sabi Sands), as the game viewing vehicles are allowed to drive off road, thereby maximising game viewing opportunities. In order to notify one another of special sightings, their game viewing vehicles are also in radio contact with one another.

All in all you could stilll have a great safari experience in December, but if you weren't planning to, I would strongly recommend you staying at one of the private lodges for at least 2 nights!

Mentioned in this post
London, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

Hi, thank you for your response .. I am definitely going to stay in a Private Game Reserve. I have heard many good things about Kapama Lodge...where else do you think I could go? Im looking for elephant trecks, cheetah sanctuary ...and as its a special occasion - luxury !!

I wanted to do 2 nights one lodge, then 2 or 3 nights another lodge.

Many thanks..Kristina

Mentioned in this post
Kapama Private Game Reserve
Kapama Private Game...
Kruger National Park, South Africa
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

If you could give me an indication of your budget for the safari (in South African Rand, per person per night) I will recommend the lodges that would be the best for you!

London, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

6000 Rand per night for 2 people..

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

Hi again Kristina! I know you mentioned Kapama, but Kapama is an independant reserve that is "fenced in" and doesn't form part of the Greater Kruger National Park. I strongly recommend you considering lodges that form part of the Greater Kruger (no fences between them and KNP) - more specifically, lodges in the Timbavati and/or Sabi Sands.

For your budget, the following lodges would be recommended:

Timbavati: Ngala Safari Lodge

Sabi Sands: Djuma Vuyatela, Inyati, Elephant Plains luxury accommodation, Kirkmans Camp, and if you can increas your budget ever so slightly, Exeter River Lodge or Exeter Leadwood would be very good options for a wonderful 5 start safari experience!

Mentioned in this post
Kapama Private Game Reserve
Kapama Private Game...
Kruger National Park, South Africa
London, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

Hi, thanks for your advice as always.

Please give me your opinion on doing 2 or 3 nights at a place called Camp Jabulani, incorporating elephant trecks, private visits to cheetah sanctuarys etc and then flying to Sabi Sands region and staying there for 2 nights at the venues you suggested. Would I benefit from going to both regions?

Kristina

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

Yes, I think it would be great if you could combine the 2. That way you will get to experience a variety of activities and also see different reserves!

8. Re: Weather in Kruger in December - help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 22:19