We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger experience

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kruger experience

Hi all,

I have heard and read so many opinions now about how to experience Kruger that I could do with some insight... I am not looking for anything fancy and really just want to get some good sightings of wildlife and experience nature (camping prefered) at resoanable price. Is it better to stay at a camsite and do some self-driving or should I better take a safari tour? I am thinking of 2 to 3 days there. Thanks!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,971 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger experience

Its cheaper and easy to arrange your accomodation in the campsites at Kruger. Log on to sanparks webiste and all the information is on there. Driving around Kruger yourself gives you freedom to go where you want provided you are in the campsite before the gates close in the evening. And you can go on night drives. During one of our night drives our road was blocked by two lionesses and cubs sprawled out. It was a magical site, and we could have been there all night, but our driver decided we had right of way eventually! Another time a male elephant was only a few metres from our car, which was a bit scarey; too close for comfort. We saw all the big five, but the little impala remain my favourites.

We used a good guidebook Kruger National Park by globetrotter.

You don't have to pay through the nose to have a fabulous safari experience.

We have done this twice, and it was a worthwhile and rewarding experience. Go for it!

Good luck

Bronia

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger experience

The only reason I used an agent to book my places for safari was because I literally could not understand the "system" of lodges.

The Park

---different kinds of camps

---different categories of camps

---how do you get there?

---what do you do when you get there? are you in charge of your safari walks?

Private Reserves

--I still don't know what Sabi Sands is and not even sure if it's also in the park

---different categories of lodges

---different geographical areas

---how do you get there?

I looked on the park's website and asked lots of questions both on these forums and by emailing the park. I never really understood it and to tell you the truth, I really still don't. That's why I got an agent.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger experience

The Sabi Sands is a private game reserve that consists of private properties owned by various land owners. The majority of these properties have private safari lodges on them. The Sabi Sands forms part of the Greater Kruger National Park, meaning that there are no fences between Sabi Sands & Kruger - the animals are free to roam the area. Tourists, however, can not "roam the area". If you are a visitor to the KNP, you are not allowed to drive into the Sabi Sands Game Reserve. The Sabi Sands is only for guests staying at one of the private safari lodges. All game drives in the Sabi Sands are conducted by the lodges, hence no self driving is allowed. In the KNP you are allowed to drive your own car and do your own game drives, however, you are ofcourse restricted to the public roads. In the Sands the game viewing vehicles are allowed to drive off road when viewing any of the big 5, cheetah or wild dog.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger experience

Hello,

If you'd like to see a map of the Sabi Sands / Kruger feel free to drop me a PM and I'll email one to you.

Cheers,

Julian

5. Re: Kruger experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 18:17