We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodges in Sabi Sand?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lodges in Sabi Sand?

I have been looking at lodges to stay in August for 3 nights. I am now convinced that I would like to stay in Sabi Sand. I read what Julian has recommended people and think I would stay in one lodge for the 3 nights. The Londonlozi and Mala Mala are more expensive than we have budgeted for. We would be grateful for a recommendation of other lodges which have very good game viewing. I looked at Nottens Bush Camp and Inyati Game Lodge, Elephant Plains and Tinga lodge and River Lodge can anybody comment on the accommodation and more importantly their game viewing please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

Hello,

Definitely go with three nights, especially with the teenagers who want to see lots of game!

Since you'll be there during the dry season, you'll want a reserve with permanent water sources available to draw the animals to the area. This map may be helpful:

http://www.sabisand.co.za/map.htm

Inyati and Exeter both have river frontage while Nottens does not. If you are looking at Lion Sands you can see that they have quite a bit of river frontage as well.

You may also want to consider Krikman's Camp south of Mala Mala -- they have a lot of river frontage and also have cross-traversing over the southern part of Mala Mala. This camp is amazing value for money if you don't mind giving up the bush-camp look.

Cheers,

Julian

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

You could also consider Inyati Game Lodge in the Sabi Sands. Excellent game viewing, great location on the Sand River and comfortable accommodation!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

Thank you Julian and African Direct. All the lodges I tried to book are fully booked. I actually tried Mala Mala main camp first Julian, because you talk so highly about it and I tried Elephant Plains and then Inyati, and then Kirkmans and the Exeter river lodge they are all fully booked.

Any idea about Nottens and Arathusa - will we see lots of animals? Our agent is now offered us Lion Sand areas - for example Lion Sand river lodge. I am beginning to worry now that we won't be able to book into any where good at all.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

Hi Thaiida,

Another wonderful lodge is Londolozi which is in Sabi Sands and has exceptional game viewing. My parents stayed there about 6 years ago. Its very expensive - but I guess if you want to see the best game viewing then it might be worth considering.

http://www.londolozi.co.za/about/index.html

Thats amazing that all the others are completely booked!

Good luck :)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

Hi Melbournetraveller

When I have finallly think that we had better stretch our busget Londolozi are fully booked on our dates and our dates are fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion any way.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

Did you try Nkorho? We stayed there a few years ago and are going back this year. During our previous stay we saw elephant, hyena, lions (plenty), leopard, buffalo, rhino, etc.

We had an interesting experience because an elephant had died within the reserve and all the animals were coming to feed on it.

I'm sure you would enjoy your stay there.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

Thank you Jankabar. We will have a look at that - apparently it is a bank holiday weekend in SA that's why everywhere is full.

18. Re: Lodges in Sabi Sand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 11:20
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park