We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in the dark

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Topic
in the dark

We are going to kruger park next May and I have just found out it gets dark at 5.30pm.Silly question but what do you do after that time if you are not going on a night drive.

Thanks Elcas

TVG
Pretoria
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: in the dark

Interesting question - never thought of it as not obvious but we "braai". That is we barbeque meat over an open fire, sit around the fire, discuss the day, brag about sightings and in general enjoy a lovely quiet evening in the bush. (Star gazing will also be an option and for that you can buy a star map). If you are at a lodge and not in a self catering setup the lodge will have a "boma" dinner which is nothing else but a fancy braai provided for you.

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: in the dark

If you are going to Kruger, presumably its to see animals ?

To see animals, you need to get up early, and be at the park gates by 5.30 am.(assuming you are not staying in the park, if you are, then you need to get up even earlier) Go see the animals, have a great time in the park, and return to base for an evening meal, or Braii (BBQ)followed by a SUNDOWNER, or 3. By now its about 7-8pm. If your eyes are still open, its because you have fallen asleep and forgotten to shut them because you were so tired.

The best thing is . . . It all starts again at the same time the next day.

You are a lucky little ELCAS . . .LOL

I hope you enjoy it ! Regards, Chris.(Kettering)

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: in the dark

P.S. Braai not Braii

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: in the dark

I come back, get the fire started (or hubbie does, I make the salads/veggies), have a drink or 3, have supper. The maybe, if I have energy, I have a walk around the camp to spot owls or photograph the hyena. And then have a shower to wash the dust off and go to bed, with the alarm set for 5.00am.

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: in the dark

Braai , Briaa, Brriii ?? LOL

You are correct ?

Forgive me Please ! I am usually too tired, Too busy burning the grub, or too busy eating it, usually all 3, to notice how its spelled.

Anyhow ! How come the grub in Africa is soooo Good ?

Chris.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: in the dark

Thanks Everbody

Thats sorted then, few beers,eat and bed.

We are so excited and have so long to wait.

Hi Chris from Kettering I work in Kettering General Hospital

Kath

Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: in the dark

You can always just eat at the restaurant or, at some of the larger camps, watch one of the open-air wildlife moves that they screen after dark.

The braai is not to miss, without doubt.

TVG
Pretoria
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: in the dark

I wonder if the movies are still "The Nile Crocodile" or "Eternal Enemies" - (thats the one on the hyenas) that have been showing for decades?

Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: in the dark

and why not (they add to the atmosphere) :) ?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: in the dark

The days start early in Kruger, so by your second night you will probably be tired early as well. We had planned to eat at the restaurants, but by the third night decided to cook our own dinner. Most nights by the time dinner was eaten and the dishes cleaned up we were starting to think about bed. Depending on the camp layout, cooking was a good chance to meet our neighbors and get good information about where to go the next day. If you enjoy a nightcap, it is a great place for one. Some nights I would talk with the neighbors over a beer, some nights I had a quiet beer alone. I think I was only awake past 10:00 on 2 of the 12 nights, and many nights I was in bed by 9:00. Whatever you do, it will come naturally.

Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park