We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

Miami
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

I will be flying in and out of KMIA on my way to Sabi Sands for a 3 day Safari. I can spend an afternoon and morning in Kruger on the return but I don't know how far the entrance to Kruger is from KMIA and if there would be anything to do in one afternoon and morning.

Many thanks for your advice!

JAT

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

KMIA us about 30 km from the nearest gate which is Numbi Gate. I am assuming from the way you word your post, you will have an afternoon in Kruger then an overnight stay followed by another morning in Kruger.

If you can make a reservation I would say your best bet is to overnight in Skukuza Camp. That way you dont waste time driving out of the park and then back in the following morning. You could also book an evening game drive (you cannot drive yourself round the park after dark). We love driving round Kruger and I am sure you would find it very rewarding. As early morning and late afternoon are the best time to see animals you should do well.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

We drive to the Nelspruit airport out of Kruger from the Phalabeni gate-- about 60km.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

JAT

Can you tell us what the full program is for Kruger so that we have a better dea of how much time you actually have.

Miami
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

We will be at Arathusa Game Reserve for 3 days

( August 19-22) after which we return to Nelspruit to fly back to Johannesburg. Since we don't fly out of JoBurg to the US until the evening of the 23rd, I thought we might spend the night of the 22nd in Kruger if there were someplace close to the airport and something we would want to do either the afternoon/evening of the 22nd or the morning of the 23rd.

Thank you so much for taking the time to ask for this information. I will appreciate any advice you can share.

JAT

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

We stayed at Elephant Plains which is next door to your lodge. We left at 11am from EP - drove to Blyde River Canyon Forever Resorts Swadini-- where we stayed that night... and went on a boat ride tour of the canyon at 4pm. The next morning, we woke up at 5am-- drove 1 hr to the Orpen Gate-- drove from the Orpen Gate, past Satara, past Skukuza to the Phalabeni gate (takes 4-5 hours -200km - speed limit 50km/hr) and from there to the KMIA airport (another 60km). Worked out great! See my trip report for more info or send me a message.

Alternatively, if you do not want to see Blyde River canyon- you can drive to the Orpen Gate and stay at Satara - book a place on the Sanparks website.

Have fun!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

When driving from the airport to Numbi gate, bring a map. There are some signs to the park, but they are not the best. We missed the turn in White River and had to ask for directions, and also bought a map. Once past White River the signs are easy to spot.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

If you are staying at Arathusa you can go to Cybele for a night which is so indulgent and lovely, otherwise the is Hulala Lakeside Lodge or Jatinga which will give you a great night and close to the airport.

8. Re: Nelspruit Airport (KMIA) Entrance to Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 15:20