We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

Please help! 2 girls visiting for 2 nights in August....we have it narrowed to these 3 we think? Is ThornyBush best for that time or would Sabi Sabi be better?

Any advice welcomed!!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

Have been to Thornybush a number of times, the last few years we have stayed at n'Kaya Lodge. It is a lovely, small lodge, 4 chalets with max 8 guests, so you all eat together and go on drives together. We have always seen the Big 5 and last year a pregnant female cheetah made her way into the reserve and gave birth to 4 cubs so that was great. It is a fenced reserve but covers a large area and is sufficient to support 2 seperate lion prides. Last year we had some magnificent sightings of them. They have a fairly large elephant herd and lots of buffalo.

About 2-3 years ago they reintroduced the rare black rhino to the reserve as well as white rhino. We have been fortunate in seeing leopards every year, even seen the cubs grow into beatiful adult cats over the years. I have posted some photos taken in Thornybush which you may wish to look at to get some idea of the sort of sightings we have had (also some from Kruger whilst self-driving around the Park)- to view them 'click' on "More about Somersetal" - then on 'contributions' then 'photos'

So you will gather that I quite like n'Kaya and can thoroughly recommend it.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

All 3 lodges will give you a great experience. As mentioned before, Thornybush is a fenced off reserve, while the Sabi Sands is part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Personally I would favour a lodge in the Sabi Sands above one in Thornybush, so my recommendation would be for Nkorho.

Nkorho is owner managed and has a great homely feel. The game viewing is superb - they have a webcam at the waterhole in front of the lodge, and recently all of the big 5 were seen drinking from the waterhole in front of the lodge. You can see the footage on the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTH4rySQss

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

Hi,

Thornybush Private Game Reserve comprises of 11,500 hectares of fenced prime game viewing bushveld, and is home to the Big 5 as well as a variety of other African wildlife.

Sabi Sand is also home to the Big 5, but the difference is there are no fences between the 70,000 hectare reserve and the neighbouring Kruger Park (which is approximately the same size as Wales), so the animals are free to roam unhindered wherever they please.

In both reserves, the land is privately owned, so the game viewing vehicles are not restricted to the road network and it is therefore possible for the experienced guides to follow the wildlife through the bush and to get extremely close to the animals.

I have been on safari in both reserves, and had excellent game viewing experiences ... however, your final choice may well be dictated by availability - my word of advice would be to book ASAP !!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

THanks for all your advice! Nkhorho is fully booked! Serondella, Inyati, Ngala and N'kaya are all available....we're DEFINITELY booking today!

Final thoughts now I've thrown a couple of others into the mix.

If it affects anything, we're flying into J'Burg and would like to head straight to Mapoto after safari to do some diving...

Thanks again! All the info is just so overwhelming so it's incredibly useful to speak to people in the know!

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

Inyati is a great location - right on the river, friendly staff, superb game viewing.

Ngala is run by CC Africa, who are renowned for their superb accommodation and general levels of service.

The other 2 lodges are also great.

Difficult choice - I guess it comes down to budget in the end !

Personally, I would go for either Inyati or Ngala.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

Thanks so much! Will let you know how we get on!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

I agree - Inyati & Ngala are firm favorites - which ever you choose of these 2, will be great!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

And these might help you decide - first, a long video of one game drive at Inyati:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JKupNUEQ0

second, a video of the lodge itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSDyu2eE5U

Look at them in "high quality" - and if you do stay at Inyati, tell Collen (great Ranger, the man in the video) and Precious that Dave Patterson says 'hello'.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice!!

Serondella was amazing!! Saw all of the big 5 in the 3 drives that we did...(all but buffalo on the first day!) as well as cheetah, honey badger and much much more!!

David (our ranger), Tuli (tracker) and Kelly (runs the place) were fantastic!! I spent my birthday there, and they did absolutely everything to make it special! Organised an outdoor brai under the stars and Lucas (barman) and the rest of the staff sang and did a dance for us. They even brought me a birthday cake!

I can thoroughly recommend Serondella!! Can't wait to go back!

10. Re: Serondella or N'Kaya or Nkorho?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 16:22
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park