We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What could compare with Singita Boulders?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
382 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
What could compare with Singita Boulders?

Just returned from a fantastic trip, the highlight of which was our stay at Boulders.

My husband loved it just a much as me, and we're already talking about a return visit. Would we be missing out on other wonderful experiences by returning to the same lodge? Can anywhere compare?

Newmarket, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

Hi Fairjay :)

My wife and I will be staying at Boulders at the beginning of October and to say the least we are VERY excited! We considered Londolozi and Singita as our top options, but availability for our dates made Singita a better choice for us. We will also be going to Lebombo as well to get a slightly different (Singita) safari experience.

Are either you or your husband photographers? I am basically a beginner and I am trying to figure out exactly what camera gear to pack. Do you have any pictures of the landrovers? Are the sides of them high enough to comfortably rest a camera/lens on?

I am also concerned about the amount of dust if I want to change lenses. How bad was the dust while you were there? I realize it might be worse when we are there, but it might give me an idea.

I would be delighted to hear any suggestions (even related to general safari) that you have from your recent trip to Boulders!

Best Wishes,

Steve

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

Have a look at Ulusaba Rock Lodge situated in Sir Richard Branson's Ulusaba Private Game Reserve.

Cheers.

Mytmoss
Level Contributor
432 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

Another top spot to look at is Lion Sands Ivory Lodge.

It won Tattler UK magazine best hotel award in 2006.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

Yes I would agree that Lion Sands Ivory Lodge is a lodge that can be compared with Singita Boulders or Londolozi (especially Tree Camp and Private Granite Suites). All of these lodges are top class, but Lion Sands Ivory Lodge is less expensive.

Ulusaba Rock Lodge is also fantastic, expect for one thing - the lodge is close to the boundary of the Sabi Sand Game Reserve so at night when you want to hear the sounds of the bush, you can sometimes hear the chickens and the dogs (and even music) from the nearby rural village. Since the lodge is elevated you can also some lights of the village in the distance. I guess some people won't mind this but for me it's a big draw back of Ulusaba - I like the feeling of being in a remote, unspoilt wilderness with only virgin bush around you (excuse the pun).

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

You could also consider Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge, Exeter Leadwood, Londolozi Granite Suites or Mala Mala Rattrays!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

I just returned from a repeat visit to Boulders and was very glad to have gone back there -- I don't think there's anything wrong with returning to an old favourite. Singita's service, food, and accommodation are hard to match (much less beat) and only Londolozi and Mala Mala offer equally exclusive game-viewing.

For a different Singita experience, you could combine Boulders and Lebombo, as suggested above -- while they both have the Singita hospitality they have quite different terrain and make a great combination.

Cheers,

Julian

(owner, Timeless Africa)

Curacao...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

You can also try the Luxury suites at Singita Ebony Lodge, which is is located 500 metres downstream along the Sand River from its sister property Singita Boulders. Singita Ebony Lodge has nine beautifully double suites set in woodland above the Sand River. Each suite has an en-suite bathroom, complete with shower, outdoor shower, a double-sided fireplace, air-conditioning, private leisure deck with pool and living area. Both Ebony and Boulders are World No. 1 – Travel + Leisure Magazine (USA) World’s Best Awards 2008.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

You obviously like luxury! Have you considered Botswana now that you have visited the Kruger Area? I am sure you would find Jao, Mombo, Kwai River, etc equally luxurious but much more remote. FYI – I have been to Ivory Lodge. It is amazing.

Craig Beal – owner Travel Beyond

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

I need to get to work. I shot video of Ivory Lodge, Rock Lodge at Ulusaba, and Singita Ebony earlier this year and haven't taken time to edit them yet. But 6 of the lodges I visited that week are on videos here: www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=BwanaDave

Video of Boulders Lodge at Singita is in my "Contributions" in my personal page here on TA.

Ivory Lodge is indeed amazing..You asked what could equal Boulders? for accommodations, it certainly does. The Lodge itself? Not really. Hardly possible anyway. Boulders Lodge is something special.

10. Re: What could compare with Singita Boulders?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 00:19