We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger Selfdrive

florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger Selfdrive

Have just come back from a trip of a lifetime to South Africa. We did a two-week self drive through Kruger National Park, and we were not disappointed. Saw all of the big five on many occasions and even the elusive leopard in three different locations.

Wilma and Bruce of www.african-safari-journals.com helped us through all the bookings of our accommodation, game drives and morning walks in the park. Living in Florida it would have been difficult to arrange our trip, but with their help, it was outstanding. Wilma and Bruce live just outside of the Kruger and spend a lot of time there, so who better to help with our trip? Before we left home they sent us a suggested drive itinerary to see the best game, and they were right on the money.

Self-drive is the best way to see the Kruger. Many times we watched a lion pride for an hour, while organized safari drives stayed for much less. Accommodation within the park is very well maintained, with maid service and clean towels every day.

Will we go back, absolutely, and we will ask Wilma and Bruce to help us. So if you are looking for a Safari of a lifetime, the Kruger is the place to go.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,683 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger Selfdrive

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Kruger with Thelma and Brian.

Just for another perspective- I love self-drive safaris, but on my first trip to Kruger, I was really pleased we had the services of a guide.

The place is so huge, and the ecology and animals so alien to us, that we would never have found, never mind understood, most of the animals we did see.

The guide knew the place like the back of his hand, and could easily lose the crowds and find what we wanted to see.

There's no way I could have done that and kept one eye on the road.

florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger Selfdrive

Thelma and Bruce were great. We got to meet them at Berg-N-Dal.

We had no problems knowing what the animals and birds where. For a more close up and personal feel we did a lot of morning and evening drives with a guide plus morning walks into the bush. This was the highlight of the trip, to be this close to Rhino and Elephant was amazing.

3. Re: Kruger Selfdrive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 23:17