We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Now vs May

United States
Level Contributor
27 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Now vs May

We are in a dilemma about timing. We can leave now (Mid March) and have a 6 week, self driving trip to explore the Venda area as well as Kruger OR wait until May and unfortunately have a shorter(4 week) trip.

What are your ideas regarding the heat & humidity, driving conditions (mud on the smaller roads) and malaria conditions.

Thank you, Nancy & Wim

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Now vs May

If you are comfortable coming on such short notice,

finding your own way, then I say come on. The fact you

know there IS a Venda area tells me you probably are better informed than most. Heat? That northeast sector of the country will have some hot days in the coming weeks, but not today. Forecast for Sunday - in the low 30's for the highs. (Celsius) Some showers through the next week. Malaria is always a hazard, demanding that you use the recommended prophylactics.

United States
Level Contributor
27 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Now vs May

Thanks for the quick reply. What about the rain and muddy roads? We don't haver a 4X4 but have a Toyota Venture which has high clearance.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Now vs May

Hi

Weatherwise I would rather travel to N SA in May because it is early winter with cooler day temperatures and probably less mozzies.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Now vs May

I truly haven't enough experience off the tarred roads north of Hoedspruit to offer good advice on how the gravel roads hold up in the wetter seasons. Hopefully, others who do know will post their opinions. Part of my first reply was probably emotional.. sort of "YES!" 6 weeks is always better than 4!

United States
Level Contributor
27 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Now vs May

Thanks... we feel the same. We have a "winter" house in Montagu as we are from Oregon. We really appreciate your input.

Nancy & Wim

La Lucia
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Now vs May

We go to KNP every year and would suggest May - not only is it cooler but there are also less mosquitos. Regarding game - it is very wet at the moment so there is lots of water around and the grass is tall and bushes thick. May is a bit drier so animals have to move to available water and also with the grass being shorter, are more visible. If you are able to delay it further, would suggest you come during the SA schools third term - 20 July to 23 September.

7. Re: Trip Now vs May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 01:17