We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Private Reserves

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Best Private Reserves

Hi everyone! My friend and I are planning a 3 to 4 day trip to Kruger at the beginning of September. We are planning on spending 2 or 3 days in the park at a restcamp (hopefully Lower Sabie) and then 1 or 2 days at a private reserve.

I have read that the private reserves are able to provide a little better game viewing as they can go off the road. This is the reason for a brief stay and safari at a reserve outside of Kruger.

My question is what private reserves near Kruger would you recommend? We are on a fairly tight budget, so we don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Also, we would like to enter the park at one of the central or southern gates, so probably a reserve towards the lower half of Kruger would work best.

Thanks for any help!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Private Reserves

The game viewing at good private game reserves is MUCH better than the Kruger because you can get so close to the animals.

I would recommend either Elephant Plains in the north of the Sabi Sands or Tangala in the Thornybush. both are very good value and have great game viewing.

Mark

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,665 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Private Reserves

Kirkman's camp would be a good choice.. easy to reach from the southern end of Kruger. September low season deal is pay for 2 night, stay for 3 - but Friday and Saturday nights are excluded. If you were to book it today, it should cost you about $1700 total for the 3 nights (paid for 2 - 3rd night free)

Ngala Safari lodge has the same offer - even less expensive - less than $1400. But it's up by the Timbavati reserve.

Dave Patterson - Owner, The Africa Safari

Boston...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Private Reserves

Hi. I enjoy reading your insight into ZA. We are going in Dec 09 with a 2 night reservation to Ngala. It was part of a tour package that I blindly committed to. (overwhelmed by choices) All the reviews Ive read are great about Ngala, but it appears to be outside of Krueger. Do you know if there is much of a difference between being in Krueger vs. a private reserve just outside? Does the tour guides travel into Krueger?

Thanks. Dave

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,665 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Private Reserves

Ngala is an anomaly. It is incorporated into Kruger, right on the edge of the park, and has exclusive use of 58 square miles of bushlands. Very good wildlife there. You will be quite pleased with your safari time at Ngala.

5. Re: Best Private Reserves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 05:30