We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
66 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

I may be spending a week at Makanyi Lodge and can't find it on TripAdvisor. My brochure says it is a luxury game lodge adjacent to Kruger National Park. Is that the same thing as Makanali Lodge? Has anyone stayed there? comments?

When is the best time to go? I know that early-mid August is not ideal, but appears to be the most convenient for me. It is ludicrous? Should I juggle my schedule to try to make it for something like September?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

August is a great time for game viewing in the Kruger area. The only problem is that the game drives can be cold.Bring lots of layers, some gloves, a scarf and a wooly hat and you should be fine.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
149 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

I have been to Makalali which is close to Kruger but not bordering, if I'm correct. It was FANTASTIC! You mean that one perhaps?

Bring warm jacket in August. The weather will be sunny but crisp in the morning. Beautiful game viewing!

Enjoy! Jessy, Owner Extraordinary Travel

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

Hi Nimby,

I've never heard og Makanyi Lodge near Kruger, but I googled it and found a very obscure connection to a lodge called "Whites Avoca", a luxury lodge located in the Timbavati, about 15kms north of Orpen gate to Kruger. Apparently it seems to have been renamed to Makanyi.

I'm not sure what the situation is, and not knowing the lodge personally, I cannot comment.

August is certainly an ideal time to visit the area (particularly this year, as the rains have been fairly good this season, I believe). September is also great, and you might catch the beginnings of spring. Be warned that you can expect chilly weather and cold mornings (as mentioned previously).

Makalali is also a great reserve.

CT
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

Yes it is a fantastic experience as it is a very private and exclusive property and lodge.

The owner Paul Levy has done a wonderful job of combing old world safari with the elegance of a private home

Richard Wiese

Former President of The Explorers Club

Timbavati P.N.R.
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

Hi Nimby

Yes Makanyi Lodge is 12Km West of Orpen Gate in the Timbavati. I manage the lodge and can give you any information you may require. Please mail me on avocad@telkomsa.net

Regards

Dave Jackaman

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
66 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

Thank you for your posts. In the meantime, I was given access to its website, which is apparently a private website, so I am reluctant to share the username and password to fellow travelers on TripAdvisor, but suffice it to say, it looks truly elegant and spectacular - it was apparently a former English Gentleman's Private Club. I can't wait to go there next week!!!

7. Re: Has anyone been to Makanyi Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 05:16