We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sabi sands vs. timbavati vs. Kruger

Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
sabi sands vs. timbavati vs. Kruger

I am going myself next summer and would love to find the best place to see the Big 5. Out of the above 3 which one is the best.

Can you off road or hike with guide for any of these?

Also, what is the terrain here?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sabi sands vs. timbavati vs. Kruger

Ngala Safari Reserve has a well-known safari program that is ALL walking..check it out at www.andbeyondafrica.com - you'll need to dig through the site to find it. Sabi Sand & Timbavati both have camps with off-road game drives and walking safaris.

Level Contributor
2,576 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sabi sands vs. timbavati vs. Kruger

hi there! Well, all 3 these destinations are great, but it really depends on what your requirements are, and also what your budget is! If we take walking safaris as an example - the Ngala Walking Safari that Dave is referring to, is a great experience, but it is very expensive, as you have to pay for your luxury accommodation in either Ngala Safari or Ngala Tented Camp, as well as an additional daily rate of over R6000 (minimum 1 guest, maximum 6, so this additional payment is per group of 6 and not per person, which doesn't help you much as you will be traveling alone) for your specially qualified ranger who will conduct the walking safari. Kruger has many 3-day walking trails which are excellent and very popular, and much more affordable, so if you want to do a lot of walking and your budget isn't very big, this would be the way to go.

The lodges in the Sabi Sands & Timbavati do offer bush walks after breakfast as part of a normal safari, but these aren't long walks - they are short walks of about 1-2 hours.

The Greater Kruger National Park (including SAbi Sands & Timbavati) is very big, and covers a variety of habitats, so offers divers terrain.

Your other requirement is to see the big 5, and in my experience Sabi Sands & Timbavati would then be your best options. During a 2 - 3 night stay at a lodge in one of these private reserves, you should be treated to good quality sightings of all of the big 5!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sabi sands vs. timbavati vs. Kruger

Thank you for your speedy replies.

I am on a budget, but am willing to pay for a nicer, all-inclusive type place for a 3-nite or so stay. I was thinking of going on a tour.

Sabi Sands is now on my list, but I have done a bit more research and have a few more questions to the experts:

1. How do Sabi Sands and Madikwe compare?

2. Is it true that Chobe and the Delta are the places to see over Sabi or Madikwe?

3. How do you feel about the traveling camps?

4. Lastly, any tour companies you recommend?

Thank you for your time!

4. Re: sabi sands vs. timbavati vs. Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2010, 07:25
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor