We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

Will be staying 2 nights- driving from Johannesburg... Which camp is best to stay at? Looking at huts/bungalows through sanparks not luxury. If you have stayed and have pictures - please share your experiences!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
496 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

That is a pretty short amount of time. but anything is good.My first trip there was for two nights and that got me hooked! My third trip in 3 yrs is this Sept. Bookings can be tough to get on short notice.I booked in Feb and still had to be flexible about where i was staying

Your best bet on short notice is Skukuza because it is the biggest of the camps.There is an extensive network of roads there and I have seen all the big five.Last April saw a leopard right on the road about a kilometer from the gate.Also a den of hyenas with young scampering about

Also check out the sanparks website which has a forum with many helpful people

Edited: 21 March 2010, 20:37
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

For a stay as soon as May, availability is as much important as location. As judik says the best camps at peak times get booked up many months in advance.

That said I would suggest to look at three other factors :

The overall game viewing experience based on the area of the park the camp is located.

How close it is to a gate to where you have the shortest drive from Joburg. This eliminates the northern two thirds of the park.

The camp itself. How big, how crowded, what the accommodation and other facilities are like.

You then end up with a pretty short list :

Lower Sabie - always my choice for first timers

Berg-en-Dal - close to Malelane gate. Their standard bungalows are a little larger than the other camps.

Satara - excellent game viewing but a bit far for a two night stay from Joburg.

Pretoriouskop - closest camp to Joburg. Good game viewing but a little older accommodation than the others (being refurbished though).

You should be able to find accommodation in one of these unless you are travelling at certain weekends.

If you can't find availability then look at Skukuza. As judik says this is the largest camp in Kruger (the reason it doesn't come high on my list) but there is good game viewing here - and it is close to the Paul Kruger Gate.

Edited: 21 March 2010, 22:40
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

With the limited time, your best or only option would be to drive to Skukluza which offers good game viewing. But of coyurse as others mentioned, availability may be an issue.

Werner

Eko Tracks

JHB
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

I may be a bit late but take a look at this web site it may help you find what you are looking for.

kruger-2-kalahari.com/kruger-camp-maps.html

There are pictures and info on all the Kruger camps. We have stayed at Orpen camp and loved it but there is something even better, Tamboti bush camp.With only 40 tents it is great for peace and quiet. These are luxury safari tent s with everything you need at your finger tips, but take your own food as they don't have a shop or restaurant but you can by food stuff from the Orpen shop. If you do plan to book ask for the luxury tents even better ask for no 40 it is the last one over looking the dry river bed with a veld view on you right hand side. I hope this info helps you.

Have fun

Jenny

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

Hi Jenny,

You're not too late. We haven't booked yet (but probably should have!). Looking to stay on 5/9 & 5/10 but I have more questions. If we're doing the panorama route on the way home, is this anywhere near that? I have maps but I'm having issues figuring out how far things are in relation to one another. The plan is to drive all day on 5/9 to Kruger from Joburg, then on 5/10- do a game drive or walk (?) and then leave on 5/11 & travel the panorama route back to Joburg, possibly stopping along the way to stay overnight.

JHB
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

Sorry didn't get your reply only seen it now. You can leave from Orpen gate R531 road and head towards R40 turning left going towards Graskop or Sabie depedning which route you want to take, from Orpen gate to the R40 is about 45km then depending on which route you want and what time you want to get back into Johannesburg and also if you want to stop off along the way all take time, but It should take between 5 to 6 hours to get back to Johannesburg. It takes us 4 hours to get from Johannesburg to Nelspruit but also remember you will be travelling during the week so there may be a bit of trafic on the roads when you get closer to JHB. If you leave the park as the gates open you will have a good full day to do the panarama route.

Hope this helps

7. Re: Kruger- which camp has best tours for viewing Big 5 (May)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 05:16