We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private game lodges

Perth
4 posts
Save Topic
Private game lodges

We are heading to Kruger in Feb. for our Honeymoon and were wondering which were the best value for money Private Game lodges to stay at?

Switzerland
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private game lodges

withdog

Within Krüger, I've been to The Outpost, Rhino Post and Plain's Camp - all of them don't come cheap, but are surely perfect honeymoon locations.

All three are beautiful, secluded and luxurious spots to spoil yourselves, with great game viewing opportunities both by car or on foot (in private concessions within the park, i.e. off the main roads) and excellent food. Check out my travel diary, if you like:

pangolin.li/travel_sites/RSASwazi_Jan05/RSA_…

I don't have much experience with the private reserves adjacent to Kruger - but there are so many that you might have to give more details about how much you're prepared to pay, to get a reply here.

However, I can recommend to travel around and not just stay in one lodge, to see more of the park and its vegetation zones with different animals.

Hope this helps...

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private game lodges

Hi

My wife and I went to visit family in Joburg last year. While we were there we used the oppertunity to go on a safari of course :-) We went to a place called Djuma Vuyatela Game Reserve which belongs to Sabi Sands Game Reserve and it is located in the Kruger park area. We had an amazing stay there and it was quite amazing to get so close to animals like lions, elephants etc in an open car...that it not that kind of animals that we see on a daily basis here in Norway :-)

I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my personal homepage but due to the forum guidelines I can't post the link here. But if you do a google search on my name gardkarlsen you should be able to find it. I hope that you can find some useful information there :-)

Are you planning on going to Cape Town as well? Have a great wedding by the way and good luck with the honeymoon planning :-)

Regards

Gard

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private game lodges

I don't know about value, but we stayed at Kings Camp in the Timbavati private reserve at Kruger. Accommodations and service could not have been better. Absolutely top notch. I highly recommend it.

Perth
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private game lodges

Thanks Guys, you're right, there are a squillion different Private game lodges in and around Kruger. I guess that is why I have posed the question, nothing is better then experience. I suppose we will be able to spend up to R 5000 - R 6000 per night and as somebody suggested a couple of different parks with different enviroments and animals.

I will check out everybodies suggestion

Perth
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Private game lodges

Nice website Meerkat

USA/Thailand
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Private game lodges

Hi Withdog,

We will be there mid Feb ,but with an RV . What can you all tell us about a place where we can stay in our RV and still do parttake in organized game rides /walks.

Would hate to simply park the RV and check into a lodge ,maybe it is nice ,but I would be paying twice.

Milano
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Private game lodges

I stayed with my family at Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve, at their Earth Lodge. Ideal for privacy, with your own splash pool, and you can even go swimming in the nude and nobody sees you! The suites are extremely spacious, lovely spa, not expensive at all, the game drives were absolutely mind blowing. Food excellent, friendly staff, each suite has its own butler "ranger" and we really did not feel like leaving! My teenagers (ages 15 and 17 are real snobs) they loved the quiet, private, in tune with nature feel, and enjoyed the sunsets the most. Give it a try, but be sure you will want to try Selati Camp as well. We did, fabulous ! Would honestly not know which of the two is the really best, toss a coin...!!