We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
43 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

Hi, my partner and I are planning a weekend away next month to Kruger and have narrowed down our list to Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga, Jock Safari Lodge and Little Jock.

Which one would you recommend?

Do any of these use trackers in addition to the rangers?

Any info will be most appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Outlook Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Vula Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

Hi,

I have stayed at Hamilton's and absolutely loved it ! The tents are awesome ... a real 'out of Africa' feel, I found the service great, and the ranger was extremely good (but of course that can change).

I visited Hoyo-Hoyo quickly, and loved the rondavels, they are really characterful (not sure about the spelling of this word .. sorry !!), and when we arrived, an elephant was casually drinking out of the swimming pool !!!

Jock Safari Lodge - I stayed at Little Jock, and only visited Jock Safari Lodge - again, the rooms at Jock Safari Lodge were extremely nice.

All these lodges are in the Kruger Park, on their own concession, so for some of your game drives you will be on the concession, which is private, but I would imagine you will also drive outside the concession into the main Kruger Park, so be aware that you will be overtaken by VW Polos etc !!!

Also, when you are off the concession, your ranger will NOT be allowed to drive off road.

However, when you are driving on the concession, you will be allowed off road to track the Big 5, although this is carefully restricted even on the concession's private land - I think I am correct in saying that the ranger has to submit a report every time he goes offroad, so they don't do it for everything !

My personal choice would be 1. Hamiltons. 2. Jock Safari. 3. Hoyo Hoyo.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

I too have stayed at both Jock's & Hamiltons. Have been to Jock's 3 times and would rate it above Hamiltons.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Essex
Level Contributor
40 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

I have not been to the others, but have stayed at Jock Safari and loved it. Our ranger was brilliant. Great experience, 5*, bath drawn ready on return from safari, flower petals etc, attentive staff. Perhaps not as "Out of Africa" as you would get in a tented camp but still very safari - we had a male lion bellowing just below our veranda one night (the other side of the fence!). Going back for a second visit this summer (Icelandic Volcano permiting).

Andy

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

We were at Imbali lodge which has the same owner (Kingfisher Resorts) with Hamliton and Hoyo-Hoyo.

They don't have a tracker as they are not allowed to do off-road safaris. We used most of the roads that Hamilton uses for the game drives.

Our accomodation they have is amazing, the area is untouched with very few people and traffic.

The game drive was good but we have not seen any predators there (in 2days).

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
43 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

thanx for the info

6. Re: Which Lodge in Kruger? Hamilton's, Hoyo Hoyo Tsonga or Jock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park