We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

Jim-Coventry-UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

We have just booked 2 nights in November staying at Chitwa Chitwa in Sabi Sands / Kruger park game reserve. (Chitwa looks amazing has anyone been recently? or got any reviews about the game drives within this area? Also what will the game viewing be like in November) We will be staying in Joburg on our first night after our flight from the UK. The intention is to drive towards Chitwa and stay within 2 hours (ish) from Chitwa (I believe it is a 6 hour drive direct) so that we can arrive at Chitwa around midday. Can anyone one suggest a suitable safe area to stay within this distance, how far is Graskop, Hazyview or Accornhoek away from Chitwa? are these places worth considering?

After our 2 nights in Chitwa we will be driving back to Joburg, I have allowed another night on the way back before we catch the 3pm flight to Cape Town the following day. The same question in reverse can anyone suggest where to stay which is 2/3 hrs drive to JNB airport, (Dullstroom?) I do not want to drive all the way back as we will be having an early morning game drive, also with this day either side we would like to see something of the area (before and after Chitwa). I have seen mentioned the Panoramic route - attractions like the Blyde River Canyon, Bourke's Potholes, Pilgrim's Rest, and God's Window, but as yet I have not researched, but to see some of the popular area sites would be ideal. Also any reccomended lunch stops? Any help / suggestion would be much appreciated.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

Klaus - a frequent poster here - has a splendid Guest House at Hazyview, Abangane. www.abangane.com - Highly recommended as a place to stop en route to Chitwa Chitwa. A completely different experience could be had at Naledi - http://www.naledi.biz/ or Tshukudu - www.tshukudulodge.co.za/ where you could start your safari early at lower rates than Chitwa. As for a stopover on the return, I had guests a couple of months ago at Cranes Nest, south of Lydenburg - and it was their favorite place of all, in a 2-week trip! http://crane.co.za/about-us.htm

But here's what's important. Go to this site and print out the detailed map that leads you to the Gowrie gate, the entrance to Sabi Sand you must use to reach Chitwa Chitwa.

chitwa.co.za/Chitwa_Map_and_Directions.pdf - Watch your speed on the roads and make sure you have plenty of petrol and won't need to stop. Because it's dangerous? Not really. But neither is it an inviting path.. just the only one. And remember that you will need SA rand to pay the entrance fee to Sabi Sand.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Jim-Coventry-UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

Many Thanks Dave, All great advice much appreciated.

Would you know how long it would take to drive from Sabie to the Gowrie gate?

or Hazyview to the Gowie gate?

Also from Gowie gate to Chitwa.

Best Regards

Jim

Paris, France
Level Contributor
844 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

If your flight from the UK arrives in the morning, and you have no specific reason to stay in J'burg, then I think you would benefit more from having a 2 night stay in somewhere like Hazyview. It is an easy 4 1/2 hour drive from the airport with glorious views going over the Long Tom Pass. I can also recommend Abangane, as well as, Blue Jay Lodge in Hazyview, but the advantage of staying at Abangane is that they serve dinner as well (this is important especially on a Sunday or a Monday night as every single restaurant seems to be closed.) To while away a couple of hours in the morning before driving to Chitwa Chitwa you could go to the Kruger Park Lodge where there is a very pleasant riverside walk with hippos in the dam and afterwards go to the Belgian Bakery at Perry's Ridge for one of the best coffees in South Africa. If you stayed for 2 nights you could either drive up to see a bit of the Panorama Route or do a bit of self drive and animal spotting in the Kruger, or just relaxing by the pool of your guest house is not bad either after a flight!On your way back you could consider staying at Walkersons in Dullstroom. It is very luxurious with miles and miles of walks alongside streams, dams and hills plus sightings of small animals, buck ect.. Luxury comes at a price but they do have a couple of simple lakeside cottages at a third of the price of their suites which is very good value and you can still go to the main lodge for your dinner and breakfast,.both of which are reasonably priced.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

Rissington Inn is a good option in the Hazyview area - reasonably priced, nice hosts & good food. 2-2.5 hours drive to Chitwa from Rissington.

On the way back is a little more tricky, Dullstroom is the equivalent distance from JNB (2 hours approx.), but whilst a pretty little town doesn't have that much to offer for an overnight stop. For a 'splurge' you could try Walkersons, which has been going well for years.

James - Africa Collection UK

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

Those drives - from Sabie to Gowrie gate - maybe 2 hours.

From Hazyview, I would guess an hour 15 minutes.

From the Gate to Chitwa - not very long. This map - …krugerpark.co.za/Luxury_Safari_Lodges-trave… - shows the relative locations of the private reserves within Sabi Sand. I think I drove from the gate to Duma Bush Lodge in 20 minutes maximum.

JHB
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

Hi Jim

There is a lovely guesthouse called Old Joes Kaia half way between JHB and Malelane Gate, it's in the beautiful Schormanskloof Valley. Here is their website www.oldjoes.co.za

We have stayed there often and always had a great time. The food is out of this world, you will not go hungry. They also have lovely walks down to the river or up the mountain and the bird life is great.

Enjoy

Boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

We just returned from Sabi Sands (Kirkman's Kamp). It was fantastic - you'll love it! We used Capetown as our base and flew in and out of Nelspruit which was very easy. It was a 2 hour transfer from the airport and a 2 hour flight to Capetown so we did our morning game drive and were back in Capetown by 4 PM where we picked up our car. If you want a fabulous travel consultant who is great at logistics, I would recommend Tracy Payne at Go2 Africa in Capetown.

kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

Hi we have just been to sabi sands and you will love it. we flew from Jo'Burg to nelspruit on SAA and then hired a car using holidayautos.co.uk, then stayed first night at Seringa Lodge, great accommodation at a fantastic price and we found it really easily in the dark on a road we had never been on !! Drive to Sabi Gowrie gate took bout 3 hours and was most interesting. remember to keep car doors locked and don't stop for your safety but it was fine as long as you do this. We had a normal car and it coped Ok although i wouldn't treat my own car like that as sand roads are bumpy and rutted in parts.

9. Re: Joburg to Sabi Sand / Kruger trip advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:15