We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

Hi,

In addition to monetary tips It has been suggested to me that it may be a good idea (and a nice touch) to take some small personal gifts to give out for good service on our forthcoming trip to helpful staff members at the lodges we stay at.

I like the sound of this but would like to check with you guys if you agree and also on what would be appreciated as a gift from the UK and easily taken? Maybe something for themselves or perhaps for their children? What would go down well?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated!

Thank you

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

Tricky one, Goodevans, and not commonly done as far as I know. Personally, I think a smile and a decent tip would be fine.

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

Anything practical, like t-shirts or other clothes. Or shoes, sandals. In Africa shoes are regarded as very valuable beacuse many people walk vast distances.

But if in doubt, a good tip will always be the best.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

Hi, this is certainly a tricky one, and in my opinion, leave the gifts at home and rather tip, but only is circumstances where the person has helped you. (I add the following as you will at some time be venturing out of the park) Please don't hand out money here there and everywhere to every poor person you see. It generates a 'give me/begging' mentality. If you wish to help communities, do so by donating to an institution (AIDS clinic, orphanage, school) rather than individuals. As far as staff in the park go, you will encounter well-spoken, well trained staff, who will appreciate a monetary tip as it can go directly home. Gifts are usually pretty useless. A can of food is better than a London pen ;)

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

Goodevans, good and thoughtful question. I had the same thought before I visited from the US -- in addition to a tip and a thank you note, what could I bring to make the expression of appreciation personal and unique. In my case I visited during the US Presidential election in 2008. I called the lodge manager and she said staff would greatly appreciate Obama campaign souvenirs. They were a big hit.

For those who suggest to just tip, I disagree. Yes, I tipped generously. But, I am very glad I also gave personal thank you notes and a special token gift. It added a personal dimension that was especially appreciated. More than one staff commented they couldn't believe I purchased presents in the US and carried them halfway around the world. South Africans are warm and wonderful people and I think your extra effort will not go unnoticed and will be greatly appreciated.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

one of those little red london busses

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

http://www.footballs4fun.co.uk/

Virtually everyone would LOVE a football, especially this year.

On one trip, I've taken about 10, and I still wish I had more. Just use an old holdall or squeeze one or two in the corner of a bag (they are deflated, and come with pumps).

MUCH more fun than giving tips, although you should still do that. The thought that I might have helped the Rorke's Drift Allstars, still makes me smile....

London
Level Contributor
59 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Certainly several very good ideas there as to what to give on top of monetary tips :-)

Thanks for the ideas which I shall certainly put to good use.

Komatipoort
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

Hmmm, interesting! A a local lodge owner in Komatipoort, near the Kruger (but from the Uk) I KNOW my staff prefer monetary tips. We share all tips between ALL staff on a pro ratad basis, so that the back of house/garden team who you might not otherwise meet get a share of recognition of good service. This works really well for us and the staff take their tips twice a year and love having a spending spree! Schools and communities like donations of kids clothes and teaching aids (maps, dice etc) , but also pretty desperately English language kids books too!

9. Re: Tokens of appreciation from UK ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 05:16