We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger or Chobe or Kenya

Los Angeles
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kruger or Chobe or Kenya

I am planning a trip to visit the safari the end of Oct for 10 days. I would like to know where will be the best place for me to visit: Kruger, Chobe or Kenya.

Some people said Chobe is going to be hot and humid and the heat is quite unbearable during that time of the year.

Both Kruger and Kenya are great but very costly. Not sure which one to choose.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger or Chobe or Kenya

I cant speak for Kenya as I have never been there. Chobe in October will be very hot, however the game viewing should be excellent as August to October are considered the best times to visit.

If you decide to visit Chobe, consider combining the riverfront with the Savute Marsh area.

As for the Kruger, anytime of the year is good to visit. There are alot of affordable camps in the private reserves so I am surprised to hear that you think it is incredibly expensive. Have a look at combining 3 nights in two different areas. Like:

nThambo Tree Camp, Simbavati or Chapungu for 3 nights with

Arathusa, Elephant Plains or Nottens

PS: I am assuming you want to visit the private reserves of the Kruger. Also - getting to the Kruger will be alot less expensive than getting to Chobe as your international will flight will come into JHB and then it is a short hop to the Kruger or an inexpensive road transfer with Ashtons.

Brett

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger or Chobe or Kenya

I agree with Brett that Chobe will be very hot during October, but the game viewing will be phenomenal! I was there last year October, and we were treated to the most amazing wildlife sightings!

Kruger will definitely be more affordable, both in terms of logistics in getting there, and in accommodation - even the private reserves have some very affordable options. Remember that the lvast majority of the odges in the Kruger region charge in ZAR, while both Chobe & Kenya charge in USD.

Kenya is also an amazing destination in October, and it won't be as hot as it is in Kruger or Chobe at that time of the year.

Good luck with the very hard choice that you have to make!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger or Chobe or Kenya

I agree with Brett and Tanya above. Kruger is definitely not costly, it is the most affordable of the three destinations you mentioned. And there are several ways to visit Kruger, as I have explained in previous posts.

The most expensive way is to go to a private game lodge in the greater Kruger National Park (which includes reserves like Sabi Sand and Timbavati). At a private safari lodge, all meals and game drives are included in the cost. You can fly or driver to the lodge, or ask your tour operator to arrange transfers from the nearest airport.

A more affordable option is to join a guided safari with a tour operator who conducts safaris to Kruger. Some companies use open safari vehicles and experienced guides, some use closed vehicles and some don't have very experienced guides. Generally, such safaris would depart from Johannesburg. You can also combine this option with a few nights at a private game lodge.

The cheapest option is to do Kruger on a self-drive basis, in a rental car. You would stay at the public rest camps and drive yourself around during the day, using a map to guide you.

Chobe in October is very hot if the rains have not started yet, but the Chobe river will be a hive of activity and the game viewing will be fantastic, both by vehicle and by boat. If you stay at a lodge in Kasane, it is possible to visit Chobe on a reasonably low budget.

Kenya is also a great option and in October the migration will be starting the head south again, but there will still be plenty of animals to see in the Mara. To do Kenya properly is much more expensive than visit Kruger. As Tanya said, Kenya and Botswana charge in USD while South Africa charges in ZAR which keeps things a lot more affordable for tourists.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

4. Re: Kruger or Chobe or Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park