We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First time visit!

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I will be embarking on our first trip to Kruger next year in May. When we first decided to make the trip I had no idea how big the park was and how many accommodation choice there were. We have done a touch of reading but I still have so many lingering questions.

We have absolutely no idea where to stay in the park. Can you recommend an area for a first time visitor? From what I have read, it seems that some suggest you stay in different parts of the park during your stay. We are planning on heading to Kruger for 4 nights. I guess once we have decided on an area we can choose somewhere to stay.

It terms of the actual driving safari part – do you take your own vehicle into the park or do you go with a guide? Or does this depend?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cambridge
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit!

As you are there for four nights I would suggest you just stay in one or maybe two of the campsites at most. I stayed in Berg-en-dal and Crocodile Bridge and saw the Big 5 on several occasions as well as lots of other animals. You can drive around the park quite easily and even the dirt tracks are fairly well managed (you drive around with a 2w drive car)

most gates open around 5.30am and be prepared to get up at this time for the best opportunity to see the cats. Also I would suggest you stake out a waterhole for a couple fo hours, especially during the hot hours of 12-3pm, you never know what might turn up to cool up. I staked out a waterhole and a family herd of around 22 elephants came down and played around for over an hour in the water and mud.

If you have any questions then just ask.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit!

julianneg, if you are going to do a self-drive safari in your own car I recommend choosing one of the camps in the southern half of the park. Your best options are Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Satara and Olifants Camp. Of these, my first choice would be Lower Sabie camp.

You can visit Kruger on your own, and drive around in your own rental car, or you can visit Kruger on a guided safari. There are benefits to having an experienced safari guide and enjoying game drives on an open safari vehicle rather than from your own rental car. But it does cost a bit more than a self-drive safari would.

Spend some time browsing this forum, there is a lot of useful information here about Kruger.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit!

I agree with Wild Wings on the choice of overnight camps. I would say two nights in Satara and two nights in Lower Sabie camp.

These are not small camps with only a few tents and a small camp fire in the middle , but rather mini towns with a fuel station, chalets, a shop and a restaurant.

May is a very good time to visit. Very few mosquito's and the temperature is very moderate. No rain can be expected by then.

Do enquire about a 3 hour guided walk in the bush with a guide, either in the morning or afternoon. These are available at all camps and its quite an experience.

Edited: 30 July 2010, 17:20
Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit!

I agree with Wild Wings on the choice of overnight camps. I would say two nights in Satara and two nights in Lower Sabie.

Please note that these are not small camps with only a few tents and a small fire in the middle , but rather mini towns with a fuel station, chalets, a shop and a restaurant.

May is a very good time to visit. Very few mosquito's and the temperature is very moderate. No rain can be expected by then.

Do enquire about a 3 hour guided walk in the bush with a guide, either in the morning or afternoon. These are available at all camps and its quite an experience.

Lancashire. England
Level Contributor
160 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit!

Hi - julianneg - you can also book to go on early morning or evening/night safari drives organised by the camps at very reasonable rates in open top 4 x 4's usually driven by very knowledgeable rangers who know the best areas for wildlife spotting. These are allowed out of the camp gates earlier and later than private cars - so you get a good chance of seeing the wildlife before the 'rest' arrive or when the roads are deserted. On the evening / night drives you also get to see (with a bit of luck) some of the more nocturnal species which are not often seen in daytime - we saw african wild cat, genets, and civets on one of these drives.

Best of luck - we loved our first trip to Kruger in Feb this year so much that were going back in December for another go !

Cant wait

Steven

6. Re: First time visit!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 07:17