We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari advice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
safari advice

We are planning a trip to Kruger Sept 2011. There will be 10 of us, 6 adults and 4 boys; 10, 13, 13, 16.

We are planning on staying 6 nights and want to stay in mid priced accomodation.

We are having family debates as to whether to stay 2 nights in 3 different places or 3 nights in 2 places.

We are looking at Lower Sabie, Satara and then Jackalberry

What do you recommend and ( just to "throw a spanner in the works" ) would it be a better experience overall to go to Botswana instead?

jane

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safari advice

Hmmm. I like your itinerary which mixes National Park accommodation with a private reserve. It will give you 2 different perspectives. (But mainly, because it will prevent another fight between VdC and the travel agents.)

The real question is whether to do the private reserve first or last.

First, means you learn a lot before you start self-drive.

Last, means you end your holiday with a luxury highlight.

Botswana, on a mid-price budget?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safari advice

Yes Botswana on mid priced budget.

People are telling me that the Kruger National Park has less animals because private game parks have fenced off areas and that we could drive around and see very little. Is this right? Is this why so many people now opt for private parks?

Do you think we have allocated enough or too little time?

This will be the first time to Africa for the children and 2 of the adults so wanting it to be a real African experience and not a trip to a luxury zoo!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safari advice

I for sure would recommend Kruger National Park.

Have a look at our tripreport:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k364…

WRT few animals, see our photos from our trips:

outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/…

or

outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/…

I believe that shuld put your mind at ease.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane Guest Lodge-

Hazyview

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safari advice

Kruger is not a zoo. There are no guarantees.

I have seen 4 of the Big 5 within 1/2 hour in Kruger, seeing Rhino the missing member 2 1/2 hours later.

I have spent a rainy day (a deluge day really) where the only things I can recall seeing the entire day was a troop of baboons and some very wet Wild Dogs mating.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safari advice

Kruger is a "real African experience", as is Botswana.

With your number, you may want to look at exclusive use of a small camp or lodge. Talk to someone who knows them well and has experience of this (not me).

Where else are you going apart from on safari?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: safari advice

I think lamlee was saying Botswana will generally be quite a bit more expensive.

Neither the Kruger or the private reserves around it are anything like glorified zoos! Kruger is massive and many of the reserves that border it have no fences between them and the Kruger.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,393 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safari advice

G'day Jane,

As another Aussie planning for next year, you are obviously listening to the wrong people when you say:

"People are telling me that the Kruger National Park has less animals because private game parks have fenced off areas and that we could drive around and see very little. Is this right? Is this why so many people now opt for private parks?"

What a load of ..... My planning and research has been extensive for the past 6 months or so, and you need to recognise that there is a difference between Kruger NP, which is administered by SANParks, a public authority, and the privately owned parks in the Great Kruger NP region. The private parks adjoining KNP have no fencing between them and KNP and the wildlife is free to roam in all areas. There are, however, private parks away from Kruger which are fenced to contain wildlife, just as the whole area of Greater Kruger is fenced.

Ask any travel advisor and they will tell you of the great private parks, but you would have to push them to tell you about the SANParks options. When my wife first suggested a trip to Sth Africa, I was absolutely and utterly turned off by the prices I saw in the brochures from TA's. I received another one today showing a "great deal" for Sabi Sabi 2 nights AU$3,600. WT..? Then I found SANParks through TA, as you also have, and I have now booked Lower Sabie, Satara and Letaba for two nights each next April. So, IMO, that is why people go to the private camps - because they do not know otherwise.

lamlee, loved your comment at post #1.

Oh, and to also put some perspective on KrugerNP, it is about 1/3rd the size of Tasmania,

Edited: 02 September 2010, 12:36
Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safari advice

have a look at the guest houses in various camps. Like the Nshawu Guesthouse at Olifants:

sanparks.org/parks/…

or Lebombo.

These are 4 bedroom houses with the most stunning views. More one cant expect. They are selfcatering places but serviced (with your own maid).

We have stayed there twice already and its fabulous.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safari advice

Thanks to everyone for all their responses.

In essence I am getting the message that;

1) KNP is worth the experience and is cheaper than Botwana

2) staying in private lodges is much more expensive but definitely not essential

3) 6 days is about the right amount of time

We are thinking of staying 2 nights in Lower Sabie, 2 nights in Satara and 2 nights in Jackalberry. We were hoping to go on guided tours from each of these places. This was so we could be in an open car rather than an enclosed hire car. I am told their are restaurants at each of these places. Are they any good or are you better off self catering? Keep in mind I have teenage boys who eat more than any hungry lion so self catering means storing and carrying large amounts of food. I am told buying from supermarkets within the park is pricey.

We are also planning on going to Cape Town for a week.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safari advice

Hi hi,

I would say 6 days is a minimum ;-)

Furthermore, why not stay in Letaba for the last 2 days? Cheaper, Incredible views from the restaurant, we've seen elephants, Hyena, and Leopard from here. Furhermore a lot of wildlife in the surrounding area.

Ps: you do not have options between restaurants. There is only 1.

I found food from the shop not as expensive as I expected, so a BBQ/braai (available at your accomodation) is always an option.