We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safari camps in/around Kruger

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
safari camps in/around Kruger

Hi, My girlfriend and I are interested to visit the Kruger and/or surrounding safari areas from January 5-9, 2011 -- i.e. to stay for at least four nights. We’d like to have a varied experience while we’re there, including guided game drives, walking tours and night viewing, and perhaps some horseback riding. We’d like to stay somewhere more upmarket (as opposed to completely roughing it). Basically, we’re looking for an experience that balances comfort and service with something that’s authentic and exciting. We’d be open to staying in a private safari concession. We also need to arrange transfers to/from Joburg.

I would appreciate any information or help that you can provide. Thank you!

Rowan

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: safari camps in/around Kruger

What is your price range?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safari camps in/around Kruger

Your dates fall in High Season - which means all of the private reserve camps will be at their most expensive. In the Thornybush Reserve - http://www.thornybush.co.za./ - there are a couple that are moderately priced (but still expensive) places, N'Kaya and Waterbuck. This site - http://www.krugerpark-direct.com - has others that are a step down in luxury and cost. If you have a big budget - $1200+ a night - there are others.

The previous question about your budget would help us point you to places you might consider.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safari camps in/around Kruger

Thanks for the reply, Dave. Our price is comfortable up to the 500 USD per head range. Appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safari camps in/around Kruger

Rowan, I have two recommendations: Firstly Lion Sands River Lodge in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which is normally a bit more than $500 but they have a pay 2 nights stay 3 nights special offer at the moment, until the end of March, which will bring it in below your stated budget. I just visited this lodge a couple of weeks ago, and I posted a trip report here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312618-i9872-k400…

Another recommendation to consider is Rhino Walking Safaris, which is in the Kruger National Park in a concession area north of Skukuza. I thought of this because you mentioned you would be interested in a variety of game activities. At Rhino walking safaris you can do an itinerary that is split over their two camps (Rhino Post and Plains Camp) and combines game drives with walking safaris. An additional option is to spend a night on the elevated sleepout platforms, if you fancy that. (Lion Sands also offers a sleepout in a tree house as an optional extra). Have a look at www.rws.co.za.

I hope this helps. There are lots of other lodges you can look at within your price range, but hopefully these two will be a good starting point.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safari camps in/around Kruger

Actually, just did the math again and with the current exchange rate Lion Sands River Lodge may still be just above your budget even with their Pay 2 Stay 3 special, but it's close enough to give it consideration. Another option which is priced around your stated budget is Inyati Game Lodge in the Sabi Sand. They also offer a nice variety of activities, and I wrote about this lodge in my recent trip report as well.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
938 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safari camps in/around Kruger

I am not sure you can do any horse riding in the park, certainly not in SAN parks controlled areas

7. Re: safari camps in/around Kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 06:17