We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

San Diego...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

I'm sure this has already been answered in one the forums so I apologize if this is repetitive Can someone tell me the best way to self drive from Johanessburg Airport to Skukuza? Any preferences for scenic routes and how many hours will it take to get there?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for strong bug repellents? I'm very susceptable to mosquito bites and I've used Avon's skin so soft for many years when travelling to somewhere tropical and it's worked well. I'm just worried though if it's strong enough for the mosquitos out there ( especially with it being Malaria season).

Thank You!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

I would use the N4 and then onto the R540 going via Dullstroom, the Long Tom Pass, Sabie and Hazyview. It is the prettiest route in my opinion.

Either Peaceful Sleep or Tabard are the things to go for. The come in sprays, creams, sticks, wipes etc.

I would also buy Mosquito Coils. Only R5.00 or so for 10. These keep the bugs far away.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 06:23
South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

Yes, that is probably the most scenic route, but the shortest and easiest route is to head out on the N12 (from the airport follow the signs for R21 South to Boksburg, then take the N12 Emalahleni exit). The N12 becomes the N4. After the Machadodorp toll gate, the N4 splits and the better option is to turn left to go through Schoemanskloof, which joins up again with the main N4 (fewer trucks on this section). From Nelspruit, follow the R40 past White River and at Hazyview turn right onto the R536 to Kruger Gate. Plenty of speed cameras everywhere, be sure to stay within the speed limit.

This route will be about 30 to 60 minutes shorter than the route over Long Tom pass and Sabie.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

I agree with Wild Wings. It is strongly recommended that you take the Schoemanskloof turn-off (left) to Nelspruit just after the Machadodorp toll gate. Coming from Johannesburg, this will be the second toll gate on your route.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
710 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

Basically everything with more than 30% DEET in it should do the trick.

And don't forget Mosquito coils, spray and a mosquito net.

Cheers and have fun

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

Apply Tabard or Peaceful Sleep liberally early evening particularly round ankles, arms and neck. Then make sure you spray your bungalow or tent every evening - and check all the screens are in place. We use one of the Doom products.

BTW all these products can be bought at the Skukuza shop or any of the other Kruger camp shops.

San Diego...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

Thank you everyone for the detailed directions and bug repellent recommendations. I appreciate it! Any recommendations for good restaurants to stop for lunch along the way to Skukuza?

Edited: 05 November 2010, 04:14
Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
404 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

I'm a peaceful sleep user. We driver around Kruger with the windows down (the best way). We find spraying the car mats before we go out also stops little flying things from staying in the car when we are driving.

Stop at Millie's Trout farm on the way. The trout pies are amazing. I bring them home and freeze them.

San Diego...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

Trout Pie? Wow that sounds interesting. I'll put that on the list. Thanks =)

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

Whoa.. I wouldn't use any product with more than 50% DEET. I have done so, and it ate the skin on my ankles. Took weeks before it was back to normal.

And I agree with the N4 to Nelspruit advice. Good road, as is the R536 out of Hazyview. Mind your speed everywhere. If you are 'caught' by the electronic speed device, your rental car company gets the ticket and they add the charge to your credit card. It's somewhere in the fine print on the rental agreement.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route to Skukuza from JNB and Best bug repellents

As far as repellants are concerned, I use Tabard on the skin for mosquitoes - spraying at dusk and dawn as there is no problem during daylight and Baytecol on clothes - socks and pants for ticks - very useful if you are going to do any walking.Have a great trip!