We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
trip

I am going on a cruise to sth africa and wish to see the animals, should I leave the ship for four days perhaps go to Kruger N/Park or stay on the ship which only has one day in Port elizabeth, and one day in Durban would I see any animals in these ports on a day trip or spend the money to leave the ship and fly to Kruger for four days anyone been that can help me with this problem thanks. dancer.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: trip

I would take the four days to do a trip to a game lodge but you dont have to fly to Kruger to do it. There are many great game reserves within two hours drive of Port Elizabeth and others fairly close to Durban. Choosing which reserve to vist really depends on your preferences, the time of year and your budget.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trip

Thank you for the reply, are the game reserves nearPort Elizabeth and Durban as good as Kruger national park to see the animals I wish to see Elephants particulary, I only would have 1/2 day in P/Elizabeth and Durban I thought I really need three day s to see the animals????? that is why I was going to leave the ship at Cape Town which would give me three/four days to myself ..

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip

I agree with your innitial thought of flying direct from CT to Nelspruit, then from there you can get a road transfer to your safari destination in Kruger. After your 3 day safari you can fly direct to Durban from Nelspruit. 3 days in Kruger are unbeatable!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip

I agree with Tayna, for the best safari experience, Kruger is way out in the lead and if you can afford the flights and the time, this would give you a superb, all round and unforgettable safari experience.

If you decided however to stay in PE and do a half-day trip, you can organise a trip to the Addo Elephant National Park, which is home to over 450 elephants, who roam freely among the 125,000 hectare reserve alongside the rare black rhino, zebra, kudu and red hartebeest, as well as over 400 bird species - and not forgetting the unique flightless dung beetle, found almost exclusively in Addo. Addo has the greatest density of elephant per square kilometre in Africa, and offers some wonderful elephant viewing opportunities.

Unfortunately, a half-day in Durban will not give you time to get to the Hlhuluwe Umfolozi National Park, which would be the option for a day visit here (it is 3 hours from Durban, so you really need a full day), so Addo would be your only safari experience if you decided to stay on the ship - but if you want to see elephants, then you will get your wish !

Tracey - Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,262 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip

G'day dancer,

It might help if you state the actual hours you will be docking at and departing from PE, rather than just your mention of "1/2 day". Also, does your cruise line offer an excursion to Addo, or perhaps private parks? Not that I would book an excursion through the ship from my knowledge of Alaska cruises, but just as an indicator as to what things they offer which gives a lead as to the timing to be able to do similar.

Also consider that it does take some time to disembark from the ship

Oh, and I am booked into both Addo and Kruger for my self-drive trip next year. :)

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip

Hi Dancer,

Just another voice in agreement with Tanya and Tracey.

Having been to Kruger and Addo which are both wonderful, I believe If you can arrange a fews days in Kruger that would be the ultimate. And in three days you will see plenty of elephants.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: trip

Thanks for your reply.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: trip

anyone been to TYDON Safari,s lodge??? in Kruger nat.park.

need an opinion, thanks.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: trip

I disagree with going to Kruger.

1. Ships seldom dock exactly on time, so it will be hard to schedule a flight to waste as little time as possible.

2. You would have to get from the ship to Durban airport, fly Durban to Johannesburg, have a few hours wait and then Johannesburg to Nelspruit and then do a car transfer to the lodge. Afterwards take a car transfer back to Nelspruit and fly to Johannesburg, have a few hours wait and then fly to Port Elizabeth. Way, way too much time wasted travelling and sitting around in airports in my opinion.

3. While Kruger is the biggest and the best, in 3-4 days, you will only see a fraction of it anyway.

4. There is nothing wrong with Addo or any of the better Eastern Cape private game reserves. (Although, because of reason 1, I would rather go with a game reserve north of Durban.)

5. Phinda is in one of the most beautful areas in the country.

I would hire a car in Durban and travel to either Phinda or Hluhluwe/Imfolozi. Phinda is the luxury expensive option as it is a private game reserve, with an all inclusive rate. Hluhluwe/Imfolozi is the much cheaper goverment-run option, where you have a choice of self-drive or guided game drives.

The only negative I see is that you are far less likely to see Leopard, but at Phinda, you are far more likely to see Cheetah.

Edited: 07 December 2010, 06:42
Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: trip

rThank you but you have my schedule wrong, I am docking in Cape Town,

and rejoin the ship in Durban....thanks.