We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinion on these camps?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Opinion on these camps?

I am currently trying to decide which camps to book for 3 nights in Kruger. My husband and I will be driving in from Johannesburg so I am thinking about booking the first night at Lower Sabie. Then, hoping to drive further north the next day and stay for 2 nights at the next camp. I am considering Olifants, Letaba, and Satara. Then, after two nights there we will drive to Elephant Plains where we have 2 nights booked already.

I realize the driving distance varies a lot but I am not sure that I want to spend every night at a different camp and I'm hoping that the long drive will involve a lot of game viewing and sights so it won't feel too long. Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan and/or comments about the best units at the camps they recommend? Thank you!!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinion on these camps?

It sounds like a great plan to me. Lower Sabie is a good start, and driving from Johannesburg I would advise you to stay on the N4 all the way to Komatipoort, and then go in at the Crocodile Bridge entrance gate. For the next two nights, either Satara or Olifants would be a good choice. Satara is a bit closer and the game viewing in this area is fantastic, I would say a bit better than Olifants, but the view from the camp is better at Olifants. To get to Elephant Plains you would then exit at Orpen Gate and turn off the main road opposite the Wildlife College.

Have fun!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinion on these camps?

Wild wings is correct, Satara has better game viewing than Olifants or Letaba

But the accomodation is not of very high standard in Satara, allthough acceptable.

My favourite camp by far is the big and shady Letaba, but there is less game than Satara, like already said.

So stay in Lower Sabie and Satara if you are only in the park for a few days and want to see as much game as possible.

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinion on these camps?

You can't go wrong with Lower Sabie and Satara. Both good camps, both in extremely good game viewing areas, and Satara will cut your driving distance down to Elephant Plains as well.

All in all ... good choices all round !

Tracey, Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinion on these camps?

I agree with Onne's advice - while the game viewing around Satara is very good, the view from Olifants is exceptional!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

5. Re: Opinion on these camps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 05:45