We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Kruger end of Feb/early March

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling to Kruger end of Feb/early March

Hello

I am hoping for everyone's expert advice on places to stay for 4 nights. Based on availability so far here are my options:

Nottens Bush Camp

Pondoro -luxury chalet

Camp Shonga

Camp Shawu

Grand Kruger - seems a bit sterile to me

Shindzela - possibly too much like camping for me, though has received great reviews on here!

I am still waiting on a few like Kapama but based on this list who would be your frontrunners (maybe top 2/cost aside for the moment)?

Thanks for your help, Dean

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Kruger end of Feb/early March

All of the lodges you have mentioned are great. In my experience, between these lodges, the best game viewing has been at Nottens.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Kruger end of Feb/early March

Hi there,

Out of the choice, my list in this running order would be Nottens, then Pondoro, then Shindzela, and lastly Shonga and Shawu.

You really can't go wrong with Notten's. Great game viewing, lovely authentic camp (lit by lanterns at night !!), family run so a really friendly atmosphere ...

Tracey - Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

Edited: 18 January 2011, 06:10
Prato, Italy
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
714 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Kruger end of Feb/early March

hello Dean,

i suggest you a private camp open to kruger.

as example kapama is not open to kruger and althoug it's a big reserve is not so big for the game...

we have been there to the river lodge but we didnt feel to be in africa...

think about it.

about the camps you mentioned i have been to pondoro in the earth room.

their luxury rooms are stunning ,the camp is very nice and the food is the best we ever found in the kruger area.

maybe only the motswari restourant could compete against them.

the only problem with pondoro is the bush around...it is dense and rocky so it's not easy to see the game.

but from the other side they have fantastic trackers.

so maybe you will spend one hour traking for a lion but it's a big satsfaction when you find it

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Kruger end of Feb/early March

I also have to agree with the comments about Pondoro / Balule ... the bush is thicker, and there are also less lodges in the reserve so by dint of that, less vehicles out on game drives spotting the animals - so your ranger really does have to 'work' to find the animals ... we spent a good 2 hours tracking lion through the bush, and yes, when we did find them, it was a great feeling - we almost all felt as if we had 'participated' in the tracking as much as the ranger !!!

Tracey - Owner / Director, Travel Butlers

5. Re: Traveling to Kruger end of Feb/early March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 15:18