We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

I love this forum... have gotten so much information! Thanks to everyone who posts on here.

We'll be travelling to Kruger via rental car from Jo'burg in October and have most of our plans finalized. I've booked Lower Sabie for a night, at Naledi in Balule Reserve for 2 nights, and awaiting confirmation for Elephant Plains in Sabi Sands for 2 nights. I've also been talking with Africa On Foot and am not sure if I should go there or to EP.

From what I've read it seems Sabi Sands is the prime location to see game but now I'm wondering... is it too busy? Is it really crowded in October, with line ups and loud radios calling other vehicles in? This will be my first safari so perhaps this is normal but I'm wondering if I should consider Klaserie or another reserve where there may be less volume.

I've read game viewing in Klaserie can be hit and miss. I know nothing is guaranteed, but I'm just wondering what your thoughts are and if you can maybe properly prepare me for how busy the areas are.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

No one can answer that perfectly - but here's a clue. AndBeyond - with four luxury properties in Sabi Sand - sells them at Low Season rates through October 10. On October 11, rates go to High Season. Since these are based on historical demand, I say they must know how busy it will be. But - even when every camp is full, you are still only talking about some clumps of people spread over 250 square miles.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

Hi,

If you are concerned about the Sabi Sand Game Reserve being too crowded, why not go to a Tented Camp like Hamilton's which has its own concession area within Kruger Park? Bushbreaks offers very special discounted rates: www.bushbreaks.co.za. There are also other concession areas which afford privacy.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

October is generally a busy month in private reserves like the Sabi Sands, but there is a very good reason for this! The game viewing is excellent this time of the year, as it is right at the end of the dry season. Remember that even though it's a busy safari month, traversing rights are restricted and only a certain number of vehicles are allowed per sighting!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,944 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

Hi there.

Not sure what you consider to be crowded but as Tanya has stated there are vehicle restrictions at sightings as well as traversing rights.

In our 12 game drives over 6 days in 2 different lodges and unlike main Kruger Park we never saw more than two vehicles at a sighting, thats us and one other. In fact many times there was just us and no one else. Certainly did not see a line up, the radio was not loud either, our two rangers spoke quietly and discreetly. In fact the second lodge we stayed at in Mala Mala we had almost every sighting to ourselves as it does not have any other lodges traversing.

Obviously I can only speak for two lodges but it seems they all fairly similar in this respect, do not let the thought of crowding stop you visiting Sabi, it is incredible.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

Hi all, just realized I had a few responses to this... very kind of you to answer.

It's my first time on safari so I wasn't sure if there was a restriction on the number of vehicles per sighting... that's good to know. In the end I've booked Elephant Plains and Naledi, 2 nights each. I will also be staying at Lower Sabie for a night beforehand. Will be driving from Joburg and lodge to lodge, should be fun :)

Thanks again!

jolliette

6. Re: Is Sabi Sands too busy in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 21:17