We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Safari's

San Francisco...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant Safari's

Hi,

I would like to go on a elephant back safari in Kruger ( or the vicinity). I understand African elephants are notoriously hard to train. I don't see much in the way of elephant back riding in and around Kruger, except a place where one rides around a dirt track for 15 minutes.

If you know of a place you recommend (or don't recommend), I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you in advance,

John

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,732 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant Safari's

I am not aware of any Elephant back safaris inside KNP.

The only Elephant experiences I know are:

www.elephantsanctuary.co.za/hazyviewhome.htm

or

http://www.elephantwhispers.co.za/

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant Safari's

There's an elephant-back safari operation up near Hoedspruit called Camp Jabulani.

African ellies are quite hard to train, and in some cases the training is quite abusive. That said, ellies are incredibly intelligent creatures and know "which side their bread is buttered".

I had an incredible interaction with an ellie at Camp Jabulani, which left a ranger quite taken aback, but that's another story ...

Edited: 01 February 2011, 15:59
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant Safari's

Have you seen a wild elephant? See one first before you decide whether you want to see a tame / domesticated one.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant Safari's

"Successful" African elephant training.

sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/html/tuli_elephan…

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant Safari's

Thanks for that very sobering link, Lamlee.

I wish more people who ride ellies would read that.

While at Camp Jabulani (my one and only time), a passing elephant just happened to stroke it's trunk up my arm and over my shoulder. The "rangers" had never seen an ellie act spontaneously in such a fashion ... the memory still gives me goose-flesh (btw, I do NOT ride elephants - I have too great a respect for them ...).

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant Safari's

I would not recommend elephant back rides ANYWHERE!

Lamlees link shows how some of these elephants are treated and I really believe that this is just an accident waiting to happen!

I know it is tempting to interact with these incredible creatures in this way but believe me, when you are close to a herd of wild elephants in their natural habitat, the feeling is indescribable!

Mark September

Small World Tours

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant Safari's

Have you read up on Kruger at all ??....it is a wonderful National Park where animals can roam free as they are meant to be.

Sorry, but the use of the words ''African elephants'' and ''train'' in the one sentence makes me feel rather ill.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephant Safari's

Can I jump in on this thread please? I am also interested in interacting with elephants but there is no way in the world that I would go anywhere that mistreats animals. Please can someone tell me if the Elephant Sanctuary in Hazyview near Kruger is in the "mistreating wild animals" league or are they really, as they claim, helping orphaned and/or injured elephants? There are lots of places I would like to go for interaction with animals eg: you can play with lion cubs at the Lion Park near Johannesburg etc but I am very wary now of inadvertantly supporting the mistreatment and "imprisonment" of wild animals rather than supporting genuine rehabilitation of injured/orpaned animals. I would really appreciate some guidance please. By the way we are spending time in Kruger but I am quite keen on closer interaction if possible - but NOT if it involves exploitation of animals in any way.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 12:37
Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephant Safari's

Hello Di,

I am no expert and will leave it up to the locals to answer your question more directly but it seems that often where there is any interaction there is exploitation to a certain degree. And as long as people happily pay to do this they create a demand. However others may be able to advise otherwise.

I would like to add that once you have been to Kruger you may feel differently....the experience of being in the wild with magnificent African animals, in particular elephant and lion as you mention, will hopefully make you feel like you only ever want to see animals this way.

I may be wrong but I believe there has been discussion on this site regarding a park that allows you to play with lion cubs and the outcome for these cubs is not pleasant.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephant Safari's

Thank you very much thesandsman. I went to your wonderful country last year and visited a small wildlife park in Tasmania where animals were taken who had been injured or orphaned and were then cared for until they could be returned to the wild or, if that was not possible, they were cared for for life. This is what I'm interested in. If anyone knows of any genuine places where animals are cared for and not exploited in any way I would love to hear about them please.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 13:46