We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger v. Pilanesberg??

ngl
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger v. Pilanesberg??

Our first visit to SA and getting mixed reviews on where we should go for a safari. We want to see as much of the Big 5 as possible and prefer mammals over bird watching. We are going in late May and heard some people say Kruger is better while others say Pilanesberg so we are extemely confused! (and not sure if that time of year plays into that as well). ANY help from someone who knows both would be greatl appreciated.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger v. Pilanesberg??

Pilanesberg :

1) No malaria

2) 50 000 hectares - 125 000 acres

3) 2 hours from Joburg

4) very popular - can get overloaded with people

5) close to Sun City

6) can be seen in 1-3 days

Kruger

1) Malaria chance

2) 2 000 000 hectares

3) 4 - 5 hours from Joburg

4) has popular areas which get busy

5) close to nothing

6) 2 days is a taster, 2 weeks and you are just touching the surface

If you are going for 1 night, I would go to Pilanesberg. If you ae going for 4 or more nights, I would go to Kruger. 2 or 3 nights could go either way.

ngl
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger v. Pilanesberg??

Thank you SO much for your help.

Here are some more details:

We would be arriving in Johannesburg on a Monday around noon and leaving on Friday afternoon for Cape Town (From JNB airport).

Therefore, what would you recommend for a Monday through Friday trip? (We have one proposal that would go to Pilanesburg and Madikwe and one proposal just for Kruger for that time).

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger v. Pilanesberg??

It is a tough choice. If you have never been to a game reserve before, I would probably do Pilanesberg + Madikwe. Worrying about malaria medication for 4 nights, I don't know whether it is worth it. I wouldn't recommend 4 nights in Pilanesberg, but if you are going to split it between 2 game reserves, you shouldn't get bored.

I guess you know the websites

tourismnorthwest.co.za/pilanesberg/index.html

www.tourismnorthwest.co.za/madikwe/index.html

That said, I am off to Kruger for 2 weeks next month, travelling top to bottom, and I can't wait.

new york city
Level Contributor
108 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger v. Pilanesberg??

hi ngl,

just got back from my first SA trip last night, and still excited looking at all the photos i took.

worrying about malaria, me and my brother opted to stay at Mosethla bush camp in madikwe reserve. Saw 4 of the 5, leopards are hard to find, even for the hardcore locals i heard. but besides the big 5 we saw giraffe, wild dogs, hayeena, kudu, nyala, cheetah, warthogs, wildabeast, antelopes, and many more.

I would highly recommend Madikwe, it is bigger than you can see, we stayed for three days. the bush camp has no running water, and electricity so we felt this is what safari is supposed to be. we found it to be very comfortable to take bush showers, and listen to the sounds at night , no windows. dont get me wrong we are totally city kids, but we went to africa to experience it, not to stay in a hotel and watch cnn at night.

to read books lit by oil lamps, to share food with the others on a big table, and the smell of the wood burning...

bon voyage.

Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park