We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

I will be at KNP for 5 days/4 nights at the end of May 2011. Since I have a neon "All U Can Eat Sign" that only mosquitos can see... I got anti-malaria pills, OFF! bug spray, and long sleeve shirts but should I also bring citronella candles for my bungalow? I'm staying at Skukuza Restcamp.

Do those candles really work? What do/did you use?

Thanks everyone!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

End of May is well into winter and in Kruger the dry season. At this time of year mozzies of any sort are much rarer than leopards! The South African Dept of Health only recommend non-drug measures against malaria at this time of year in Kruger. If you want to take antimalarials go ahead but, at this time of year, the small risk of side effects from the drugs is statistically higher than the risk from malaria.

Citronella candles certainly work and clear off things other than mozzies. Good to light on your bungalow terrace when you are sitting out for dinner in the evening. Wear long sleeves as well. Inside the bugalow better to use electric coils or those plug-in vaporizer units. You can buy all of these at any supermarket or at Kruger shops.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

I think Mosquito Coils work better, but citronella smells better. Braais to me work the best though. It is essential in summer to have a fire every night.

They have had a wet summer this year, so maybe there will be more mozzies around in May than usual, but I still don't think you will see many at all. Don't panic too much about bringing stuff, you will be able to buy coils, sprays, lotions etc. at the shop in Skukuza, if you find that you need something extra.

PS. Long sleeves shirts are not as important as long pants and covered feet and ankles.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

Thank you! I just found out that my insurance doesn't cover antimalarials, so I was really debating about the need to take it. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to doxycycline, so I would have to pay for the more expensive brands.

I will be wearing long sleeve shirts and pants and bug spray. I'll pick up a coil or two when I get into Johannesburg.

Thanks again!

Sofia, Bulgaria
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

Yes they do repel insects, they do work! :) You need a candles made from premium quality oils though. These candles from Amazon Lights in the UK supply the best I've found.

They are made from Andiroba and Citronella Rosemary and Thyme.

All the best.

http://www.amazonlights.co.uk/

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

Agree with van de caab at this time of year very low risk. Long sleeves are essential anyway as the nights can be cold. Buy a plug in mosquito machine much safer than candles and very little odour. The supermarket in the rest camp will stock a range of bug spray and machines. Also try the citronella soap it smells great and is quite effective

Sofia, Bulgaria
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

All the candles I mentioned are outside / garden candles, to not be used in a room, they really are the best solution for outdoors . I agree with LornaSJohannesburg you're better off with a plug repellant solution for indoor use.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

I agree with the above. I am very tasty to mosquitos so even when there are very few around they always manage to find me. in fact I am the best mosquito repellent my friends have as they head straight for me.

I don't find that the candles work too well, but the plug in devices do seem to do a much better job.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

Coils are a good alternative - I find them as effective as the plug-in devices and they have the advantage of not requiring an electical point. You can use them outside as well. You can buy them in any supermarket, and most convenience stores, in SA. My thing with mozzies is the noise they make - it's a great insomnia inducer - so I prefer something that banishes them rather than eg something applied to the skin. Re citronella: I read somewhere that it's only effective within a very tiny radius so the other repellents are probably a better bet.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 20:41
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

YES! The buzzing is ssoooooo annoying. So anything that will keep them from entering the bungalow in the first place is preferred. The first thing I will do after I check into my hotel in Johannesburg is to buy some coils. Thanks everyone!

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do those citronella candles REALLY repel mosquitos?

The citronella candles work for me. I also use the citronella bracelets like these. …ecrater.com/p/8545161/mosquito-repellent-br…