We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to and between camps

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to and between camps

I went on my first safri last year to South Africa, Botswana, and Victoria Falls. It was so great and I want to plan another. The company that met me at the aiport and seemed to take care of most of the transportation wasn't my travel agent's company. It was Wilderness Safari. They did everything OK, but what I was wondering, should I ask my travel agent which company he uses to move me around from camp to camp? For my next safari that I think will be to South Africa and Botswana agin, are there are of these transportation comapnies that are always reliable, or any that maybe I should ask my agent to avoid?

Cate

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to and between camps

Hi Cate, if you work through a knowledgeable and reliable agent, they will partner with reliable transport companies (whether ground transport or air transfers). No reputable agent or operator will risk damaging their reputation with a dodgy transport partner. You can also ask your agent which transport partners they are using, ask how long they have been using them and if they have ever had any issues, and perhaps also check up on them here on TA.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to and between camps

I could add to Onne's comments that I have never had any problems with ANY of the transfer services I use. I only quit using one because their bookkeeping was unreliable. Couldn't keep track of whether I had paid them - or not. More than once. Which was one time too many. Transfer companies charge generally the same or pretty close to the same rates, so no need to look for cheaper rates.

I mention that not for your sake because you will be using someone else to make the arracngements.. more for the benefit of travelers who might be booking transfers on their own.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

3. Re: Travel to and between camps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 09:24