We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing affordable lodge in kruger

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Need help choosing affordable lodge in kruger

Hi,

I am trying to decide between 2 nights at:

Gomo Gomo Lodge

Umkumbe

Africa on Foot

Help? I don't know which one to pick and which is the best value for the money, setting and guides.

Any other ideas in that range are appreciated too. We are looking to spend between R1500-1900 per person per night. Thanks!

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing affordable lodge in kruger

I have stayed at Gomo Gomo but not the other two. We really enjoyed our 3 night stay there. The setting is quiet and relaxed and quite casual but everything is conducted in a very tasteful and professional manner. The food is wonderful and our guides were excellent. The accommodation is comfortable although not luxurious. We were lucky to have excellent sightings including leopard, lion and wild dog.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing affordable lodge in kruger

I've been to all three, Umkumbe is in the southern Sabi Sand with a wonderful position on the Sand river. They have a thin slither of traversing land to do game drives on, and this is their biggest challenge. Small traversing area with no other vehicles to call in sightings. But at that price, it is worth going. The lodge itself is good value for money and the rooms are decent. Food was good too.

Africa on Foot shares their traversing area with Gomo Gomo, both are in the Klaserie Game Reserve, between Timbavati and Balule (part of the greater Kruger National Park also. Africa on Foot has a sister camp called nThambo which in my view is a better option than Africa on Foot. Tented tree-house style rooms on platforms, and a lovely deck and small pool overlooking an open plain in the bush. Look for reviews on nThambo here in TA and you will see it is quite popular, and well priced too.

Africa on Foot itself is a also a good option and well priced, but the camp itself is not as attractive, in my view. There are plans for some cosmetic changes and new pool in the future. However the hosts and staff are fantastic, Courtney is a super host and manager, and they will treat you like old friends. As the name implies the camp offers walking safaris and it is perfectly suited to this, so if you prefer walking safaris over game drives go for Africa on Foot.

The game viewing at Africa on Foot, nThambo as well as Gomo Gomo is the same (they all share the same traversing area). In my experience the game viewing is not very consistent, I have personally had mostly quiet days on game drives here, but then some of our clients have had excellent game viewing and seen amazing things. See also tryhard's post above, who had excellent sightings. Luck of the draw.

Gomo Gomo is also a wonderful lodge and great value for money. Among the options you mentioned it is the only lodge with aircon, and the lodge overlooks a beautiful waterhole which attracts plenty of wildlife in the dry season. They have a stunning pool and deck overlooking the waterhole.

At that price, you cannot really go wrong with any of these lodges but my personal vote would go for nThambo if you like the rustic tented experience, and Gomo Gomo if you prefer the comfort of air-conditioned chalets. Or Africa on Foot if you prefer walking safaris.

There are very few other lodges inside greater Kruger within this price range, I think the closest alternatives would be Naledi Game Lodge and Mohlabetsi Safari Lodge, both in Balule.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing affordable lodge in kruger

And of course the standard rooms at Elephant Plains are also in this price range, which is also an excellent choice inside the northern Sabi Sand.

4. Re: Need help choosing affordable lodge in kruger

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park