We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

Hi,

We have booked a trip to this camp in August, however, information is not easy to find on the African Ivory Route website (pretty dismal site)...Believe the camp has been upgraded. Can someone verify this and give us information?

Thanks,

Jacko61

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

yes, the camp has indeed been upgraded. Each tent now has an en suite toilet and bucket shower,as well as a thatched roof over the tent. We have spent many great weekends at this camp! On 2 occasions we had a pride of lions IN the camp, walking amongst the tents, roaring, brushing against the sides of the tent...great memories!!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

Thank You....we have heard so many conflicting reports about the facilities. I am really looking forward to this trip and just wanted to be prepared in terms of what we took with us etc etc.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

All you need to take, is your food & beverage, perhaps some braai utensils, as for the rest, their kitchen is pretty well equipped.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

Hi Tanya

We also have looked at Buffelshoek and your recommendation is really useful. However notice that you have never recommended it before on TA even though you have spent "many great weekends" here.

Is this maybe because it costs R250 per tent per night plus R20 per person and R20 per vehicle? is this still the price since the upgrade?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

BTW do you have any preference between Buffelshoek and Ndzhaka? Similar accommodation, similar price.

To get from Manyeleti gate to Orpen Gate into KNP do you have to drive all the way back to Acornhoek?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

hi Van De Caab - yes, I have indeed spent many, MANY great weekends at Buffelshoek as well as Ndzakha! I have never recommended it on TA, as this camp is best enjoyed when booked as a whole. There is only 1 kitchen and you have to store all of your food communally, as well as cook communally, and it's much better when all of the guests are from one group! I have never read a single enquiry on TA from someone looking for a self catering camp with no electricity, which until now only had toilets far, far away from the tents, which is best enjoyed and utillised when booked as a whole unit. I'm not sure why the price that this camp charges would have anything to do with whether or not I recommend it? I read every enquiry, and then if I feel that I can offer advice, I answer the question based on the information the contributor has requested. If you are aware of any enquiries from people looking to book exclusive use of tented camps with very basic facilities, then I'd love you to point them out to me, so that I can make relevant recommendations.

As for your question on which I would prefer between Ndzakha and Buffelshoek - the Ndzakha tents are more "luxurious" than the Buffelshoek ones, and I love the fact that they overlook a dry riverbed. However, Buffelshoek is my favorite of the 2, as we have been very fortunate with animal viewing from the camp -as I said, lions, also hyena, elephant and a herd of buffalo, so for me, my choice would be Buffelshoek.

No, you don't need to drive all the way back to Acornhoek.. on the Orpen Road, near to the Wildlife College, there is a turn off that can be used to get to the Manyeleti.

Hope this helps!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

Thanks Tanya

IMO people are always looking for good priced alternative experiences in and around KNP. We certainly are. It would seem that Manyeleti camps (at least those run by the Trust and the MPTA) could offer a different and complementary experience to SANParks accommodation. Is having a shared kitchen and shared ablutions here much different to the same from SANParks? Thousands (including many on here) are happy to do that there. Some people pay money to have no electricity in other reserves! As you kindly confirmed it seems easy to link into KNP via the Orpen Gate. So it should be possible to add a night or two here to say 4 or 6 days at other camps inside KNP. Especially with the latest upgrades this sounds to be a very worthwhile possibility. People can only ask about things that they know about! I only know about Manyeleti because of a recent article in Go! magazine. Nothing at all on TA except about the private camps, until now. Thanks to travelogger for bringing it up.

What is the structure like in Manyelati for self driving? I see that they do also offer off-road game drives and walking safaris. Are these from the individual camps or are they organised from a single point? Again, hopefully, complementary to KNP experience? There are very few unfenced experiences left in Kruger. Good to know about this one.

Thanks again.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 15:20
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

Hi,

Gee am I glad that we have Trip Advisor - what a great forum! - a little sorry I started this now as I believe this is a truly magical place and I do not want to have to battle to get bookings.......Isn't funny when you find something that you think is going to be really special you want to keep it for yourself! Hopefully the awareness will encourage only like minded people to visit as I am sure it will. We are going in Aug and have booked 2 tents (we are 4 people). I do know that children are not allowed due to the unfenced situation. I will certainly report back when we return home. Will post a few pics as well.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

Roads in the Manyeleti are very good,so no problem to self drive. Game drives are offered from the individual camps and are best to be pre booked as there isn't always a vehicle available. I have also done some excellent walks in this reserve.

The only negative thing about staying in the Manyeleti in my experience, has always been that poaching seems to be "alive and well" in this reserve. We have had numerous sightings of buffalo, waterbuck, etc with snares around the necks. To me, very disturbing to see!!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buffelshoek Camp - Manyeleti Reserve

I have been giving this thread a lot of thought - especially the fact that these 2 camps (Ndzhaka & Buffelshoek) are being compared to self catering accommodation in the Kruger National Park that has shared ablutions and kitchen facilities. Please do not think that these 2 camps have the same type of facilities as those at KNP. The kitchen at Buffelshoek & Ndzhaka is shared - this means that all guests staying in camp use the same fridge, the same freezer and the same stove. This is why I have found it better to book the camps as a whole, and not to share with other guests. If you are happy to perhaps wait your turn to utilise the cooking facilities, and if you don't mind fighting over space in the fridge, then you will be happy to share. Because of the sometimes low occupancy of these 2 camps (especially mid week), you may be lucky enough to not book camp exclusivity, but to still be the only guests staying there.