We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

I'm trying to expand my options and there are a lot more possibilities if we stay in a safari tent. Question is, exactly how cold will we be in July? We can bring extra blankets and sleep in long underwear, but will it be excruciatingly painful to roll out of bed at 5 in the morning to get dressed? l

Thanks!

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

Where are you going?

By safari tent do you mean large East African style pre-erected tents with proper beds? If so, they probably come with plenty of bedding. Add a hot water bottle and prepare for a good night's sleep. It quickly warms up once the sun comes up. We're camping this July on our own so the hot water bottle is ready to go too! Can't say that I've been uncomfortable even getting up first thing in the morning and we've camped in SA, Namibia, Zim and Kenya at altitude and in the winter.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
424 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

Yes, i am talking about the large, pre-erected tents that seem to be semi-permanent structures.

You're right about the good night's sleep.

And i can always do what others have done: I've read that some people go to sleep in the same clothes they will wear the following morning, and after the morning game drive, when the sun warms things up, they come back to the camp and then take a shower.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

All SANParks Safari Tents in Kruger have full beds and bedding. All tents have extra blankets in the cupboard for the winter. At least all the ones I have stayed in - Punda Maria, Letaba and Lower Sabie. They all have ceiling fans for the summer but none that I have stayed in have heating/aircon. As SF suggests just snuggle up and you will be fine and warm. A tot of good South African Brandy at bedtime also helps! Maybe also at 5:30am with your coffee! But come on - this is supposed to be a bush-experience - LOL!

Temperatures in Kruger never really get cold, even in July - remember in some parts you are inside the tropics, and not at high altitude. Nearer the Equator than any part of Florida!

One other thing - if you are self driving you have a great advantage over the game reserve people in their open game vehicles where the wind chill in the morning is the big problem. When you get in your car just turn the heater on full! You can still keep the windows open!

But then the SANParks Safari Tents at Addo actually have heating!

4. Re: Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 17:05
5. Re: Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 June 2011, 18:36
Edited: 12 June 2011, 18:36
Gerrards Cross
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

Lamlee, perhaps you ought to loosen up before being c rtical of others. Having lived in the Afrcian bush in a tent for four years, I can tell you it does get very cold during the Winter, but then that is indeed part of the fun - going to bed wrapped in many layers, waking for a hot cuppa, and even chipping ice of the water bucket. That's the point of adventure. If you haven't construcitve comments to make - and a sense of fun - as you profess on your profile - then don't spoil it for others.

7. Re: Will it be really cold in a July in a safari tent?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park