We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

Gretna, Louisiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

my husband and i are travelling to south africa in october for 2 weeks. we want to visit joburg, victoria falls, blyde river canyon, kruger, hazyview, nelspuit, swaziland, st lucia, durband, and cape town. we will have a rental car from joburg and will drop it off in durban for flight to capetown. i am trying to find the most economical way to plan all of this. should i go sole or should i go with a group, for example gate 1 travel is it safe to travel alone through south africa. where should i stay. what company should i get the car rental from. all advice, opnions, etc will be greatly appreciated. i am completely overwhelm trying to plan this on my own. need help. thanks wendy

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

Yes it is safe to travel around Sa, millions of tourists do it. Just be aware of your surrounds and you will be fine. Rentals can be Avis, EuropCar, Budget Rental and I am sure some de's will suggest other companies.

Nice itinerary, although a short time to do all this. Give us a daily itinerary and we will be able to tell you whether or not it is feasible in the amount of time you have. e.g how many days in Kruger, etc.

wwwkimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Gretna, Louisiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

thanks for that fast reply!!!! we are wanting to do 3 nights in joburg, 2 nights in hazyview(kruger national park) should i stay in the park or in hazyview, 1 night in swaziland, 1 night in st. lucia, 4 nights in cape town, and just passing through durban for the flight to cape town. will also spend 2 nights in victoria falls.

Edited: 14 June 2011, 05:56
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

3 nights in Johannesburg, but ony 2 in Hazyview/Kruger? I would definately recommend that you spend more time around Kruger,and less in JNB.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
52 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

The benefit of staying in Kruger park is that you can take the night game drives, sunrise game drives, and/or morning walks that are offered by the parks' camps. These are times that otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the park.

The benefit of staying outside the park is that you have the option to stay in a bit nicer accommataions with a bit better meal options.

My vote is stay in the park. And I agree with Tanya that I'd spend less time in Jo'burg and more in Kruger - especially if that inlcudes your time seeing the Panorama Route. Maybe reduce Jo'burg to 2 days, see the Panorama Route with 1 night in Hazyview, then stay 2 nights in Kruger.

Also, some hotels offer day trips to Swazi through their affiliated tour companies - I think the Rissington Inn in Hazyview does. That may be easier than driving yourself there (you need to make sure you can take the rental car across the border anyway).

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
661 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

Your itinerary will really depend on what you'd like to see. Some people are all about being in the bush and nature and would therefore like more days in Kruger, but if you're more into culture/art and history, you'd appreciate the more time in Joburg.

Also you'll have to consider the flight times for whether a trip to Vic Falls will also fit into your 2 weeks. Check out www.flysaa.com or www.1time.co.za for flights.

We might be helpful with more information.

6. Re: south africa, joburg, kruger, st lucia, capetown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 04:19