We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights

Vermont
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flights

I have booked out trip for end of May 2012 for 16 days. We are using Wild Wings company. My question is when sould we purchase our flights. Leaving from JFK. Then also need to purchase flights within South Africa. I feel now is a bit to early, and prices now from JFK are approx $ 1400. So just trying to get some opinions. Thanks

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
52 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights

I just paid $1,700 from Jo'burg to Indianapolis in December and last year I paid $1,900 into Chicago and out of Indy, so $1,400 sounds good to me! (Including all taxes and everything, I assume.)

But most sites will let you set a fare alert, and you can track it for awhile. Also, keep an eye on the South African Airways website for deals. I've seen buy-one-get-one deals before.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights

I was wondering the same thing except more for the Internal Flights. I have my International Air on hold now and will have it booked. I am concerned that planning and booking so far in advance (our trip is next June), if there are any flight timing changes it could affect our internal flights and it sounds like many of those have penalties for changes and in some cases non refundable?

I have been watching the cost for the tickets for the past several months too and they always seem to be around that amount too.

Chevy Chase...
Level Contributor
52 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights

You can probably wait awhile on the internal flights -- three months out should be plenty sufficient? May want to check out the various sites though and read their fare restrictions -- Mango, Kulula, and 1time are the main lowfare carriers.

Indiana
Level Contributor
814 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights

It depends on what level you book. Airlines use a special pricing algorithm when setting prices based on level, demand and time to departure.

First class and business class airfares tend to go on sale frequently when the flight is first released. For example, a May flight has already been offering plenty of discounts, but not continuously, and then only a couple seats at a time. As the time gets closer and volume picks up, the price will increase substantially. A few days before, if there are lots of vacancies, they will have huge price cuts. If only a few vacancies, they will not cut the price. Getting your tickets early or at the last minute are the best bets, but late sales are not always guaranteed. For example, we bought 4 first class tickets at $3,000 each (10 months in advance), but when we considered bringing a friend 8 weeks before departure, the price was at $8,200.

Coach has a similar pattern, but the airlines are better able to predict when reservations will occur and don’t consider actual booking trends as heavily. If you can wait until the last minute, cheap seats are more likely, but not guaranteed, as peak season flights are often full. Off season last minute deals are more likely. If you are set on going, start looking for deals early in the morning and keep checking every mornings before offices open. Deals come out overnight and most shoppers start when they get to work. Cheap seats are limited in quantity, so this approach should work best.

5. Re: Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 16:20