We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

Central Florida, USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

My husband and I are flying into Jo'burg in early September and plan to rent a car and drive to Kruger. Are morning or evening safari tours available to book when we arrive or must we reserve in advance? We are on a tight budget and will mostly do self-driving tours, but would like to do a walking tour or a guided driving tour once or twice. Any info would be helpful. Also, when self-driving inside Kruger, are there places to stop for food and gas every 3 or 4 hrs or do we need to pack food ? Can you get out of your vehicle to walk if you see animals off in the distance and need to get a better view? Thank you.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

Where are you staying?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

You should spend some time on the www.sanparks.org forum.

Walks can get booked up fairly quickly as places are limited to 8 people. Drives are usually easy to get on.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

The answer to your last question is definitely NO.

You are not allowed to protrude much from your vehicle at all. You aren't even allowed to stand up and look out of a sun roof.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

Have nibbles and water in the car, in case you spend a few hours at a special sighting.

Petrol (gas) is available at all camps, although, at game watching speed, you don't use much. Picnic sites and camps have toilets. Plan your route accordingly.

Central Florida, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

Lamlee, we are staying at a private place just outside crocodile bridge entrance for a night or two, then Skukza, and then a little further up at Satara. Thanks for the info, we really appreciate it.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

kara. could you tell me the name of this place ouside crocodile brodge?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

One of the places I like just outside of Crocodile Bridge gate is called Buckler's Africa, which overlooks the Crocodile River and the Kruger National Park on the other side. However, you need to book in advance to stay here, and one disadvantage of staying outside of Kruger is that you need to be at the entrance gate very early each morning to enter. If you arrive late and it is a busy day (like a weekend) you may find that the gate's quota of day visitor vehicles has been reached, and you will not be allowed entry. Staying inside the park has some definite advantages but definitely requires advance bookings, especially during school holidays.

There are guided game drives and in some cases bush walks available from certain entrance gates (Crocodile bridge offers both) but availability is limited (maximum 8 for the walk) and advance bookings are esssential for peak periods and weekends. It is not wise to just arrive and assume there will be space.

You can definitely not get out of the vehicle to walk closer to the animals. I'm not sure if you asked this tongue in cheek but my advice is that you read the info pamphlet they give you at the entrance gate very carefully, and stick to the rules. Not only can you get fined, you can get eaten.

Have fun in South Africa's best game reserve!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

8. Re: Can I book a walking/driving tour of Kruger when I arrive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 20:17