We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed need help with lodge in SA

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
371 posts
366 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed need help with lodge in SA

Hi Everyone,

I have been given a large choice of lodges to pick from in South Africa: but the ones I think we can swing financially are: Honeyguide, Hamilton's and Nottens Bush. Tanda Tula is a stretch but doable. I am a big fan of "tented" safari camps that accommodate a small number of people. I would like unfenced areas as opposed to fenced areas. I think the aforementioned lodges are unfenced but am not sure.

99% of the people who stay at lodges seem to love theirs! So, that is no help.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these lodges?

We will be traveling in July or August, 2012.

Many Thanks in Advance.

LDTC

Mentioned in this post
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
#1 of 15 Speciality lodging in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
Sausage Tree Safari Camp
#1 of 22 Speciality lodging in Balule Nature Reserve
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
Tintswalo Safari Lodge
#1 of 7 Speciality lodging in Manyeleti Game Reserve
SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed need help with lodge in SA

If you can stretch your budget to Tanda Tula, then I would recommend this lodge. All of the options you are considering are good lodges, but as a tented camp in a very good game viewing area, TT does stand out!

Ngala Tented Camp is also a highly recommended option, but might be a bit out of reach as far as your budget goes. They are offering a good pay 3, stay 4 night special offer, which does help to make it more affordable though.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed need help with lodge in SA

Sorry, forgot to mention that Simbavati River Lodge could also be an option for you to consider. They have a choice between tented and chalet accommodation and I can highly recommend their tents.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Mentioned in this post
Simbavati River Lodge
Simbavati River Lodge
520 Reviews
Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, South Africa
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
371 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed need help with lodge in SA

Hi Tanya,

I have read many of your posts :)

I was thinking last night... the prices at the lodges that I mentioned are really expensive given the fact that they are just "OK" lodges.It's a bit disheartening.

Are there any other "nice" not necessarily luxurious tent options in good viewing areas?

Thanks

4. Re: Overwhelmed need help with lodge in SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 20:18