We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kruger Flooding Alert!

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Kruger Flooding Alert!

If you are planning on visiting Kruger in the next few days/weeks please see www.sanparks.org for urgent advice regarding flooding in Kruger National Park.

Currently the following camps are closed:

Shimuwini

Biyamiti

Talamati

Crocodile Bridge GATE and Giriyondo are CLOSED.

The road from Letaba to Satara is closed. Access to Letaba and Oliphants via Phalaborwa gate okay.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

Unconfirmed reports that Hoedspruit Airfield Base evacuated and town basically shut down.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

I live in White River, which is in the region of the floods. It's still raining, and everyone is urged to take caution when travelling. Best to contact the establishment you are heading to, to confirm accessibility and status quo on flooding.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

Phalaborwa gate closed.

Access not available to Letaba or Oliphants at the moment.

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
282 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

I'm in the process of booking safari in the nearest days/weeks. Any areas in or adjacent to Kruger less likely to be affected by flooding?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

The floods will be over in a few days, B H, no need to worry about it for future bookings.

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
282 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

Thanks!

Well, future might be as soon as next wednesday (25th) in my case. Point is I have the option to put Kruger at the end of my South Africa trip moving it to dates around 5-9 th of february. If that's recommended I might turn the trip "upside down" and do it in reverse order (CT->Garden Route->Kruger).

Edited: 18 January 2012, 15:33
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

You should go to the sanparks.org website for updates and info on the forum about areas around Kruger. Also see facebook pages. Hoedspruit is in a bad way with people airlifted out. The majority of camps and entry gates are now closed in Kruger. Some water levels in some parts of the park have started to stabilise but gravel roads are damaged or inaccessable in many areas. Rain is forecast over the next week. The amount of rain that falls will determine what happens over the coming days. There will be major clean ups required. Private lodges in the south and around Hoedspruit must be affected. Mala Mala closed. Tinga Lodge was evacuated.

Jodig5571
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

I am scheduled to go to Sabi Sabi Bush lodge and Tinga as well over the next 2 weeks. The situation there sounds just awful and very sad. I for one will be deviated to miss out on my safari experiences.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

Keep in contact with the lodges and assess the situation on a day by day basis. I hope you don't miss out. Hopefully the damage is limited. No doubt some places will be worse than others.

B H
Oslo
Level Contributor
282 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kruger Flooding Alert!

Some links I found related to flooding. I have no local knowledge so I can't give any other comment related to situation/implications.

Newsarticles:

sowetanlive.co.za/news/2012/01/19/floods-clo…

http://www.peherald.com/news/article/4462

mg.co.za/article/…

iol.co.za/news/south-africa/mpumalanga/touri…

timeslive.co.za/local/2012/01/19/game-viewer…

ttgdigital.com/news/…

Videos:

news24.com/Multimedia/MyNews24/Kruger-Nation…

www.youtube.com/watch…

iol.co.za/news/south-africa/kruger-park-deva…

Photos:

news.howzit.msn.com/gallery.aspx…

Lower Sabie before: krugerafricasafaris.co.za/pics/accommodation…

Lower Sabie during flooding: http://a.yfrog.com/img735/6606/6ixyi.jpg

Some Facebook photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Analysis of satellite images:

www.getoutdoors.co.za/index.php…