We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to Kruger National Park

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to Kruger National Park

Hey there,

We are booked for 3 nights 20/21/22 Feb in Kruger @ Kampama Private Game Reserve. However they notified me today that they are cancelling their booking on acct of floods, even for feb!!

I dont want to miss out on the entire wildlife experiences... are there any other parks closer to JBG or any other alternatives?? I really wanna see the big 5.. Help!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

You can go to Pilanesberg Game Reserve or Madikwe. Both Game reserves are not so far and Malaria Free. Lot of Private Lodges, and very nice to visit.

www.madikwe-game-reserve.co.za/

www.pilanesberg-game-reserve.co.za/

Good luck

Agnes

Felleng Tours

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

There are numerous lodges surrounding Kruger in the Greater Kruger area. Not all have been badly affected. There may be some which will be operating as normal. The area around Kapama was particularly badly affected.The park itself is getting back to normal and the water has receded to a large extent.

Alternatively you could look at Madikwe Game Reserve - malaria free Big 5, 4 and 5 star lodges available.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

I definitely would suggest not giving up coming to KNP. We have been in the park yesterday and everything is back to normal (just some dirt roads still closed.

You can check www.sanparks.org for accommodation inside the park, in the sanpark camps, or think about staying somewhere outside KNP and selfdrive or take guided tours into the park.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

I understand that most of the lodges in the Hoedspruit are are operating as usual, albeit with some small adjustments where necessary.

The Thornybush Collection lodges, right next to Kapama, are operational (with the exception of N'Kaya), and Thornybush Game Lodge and Simbambili were largely unaffected.

There are a number of other lodges that you may try, and I believe Motswari, Umlani, Kambaku, Gomo Gomo, Africa on Foot, Ngala, Shindzela, Nthambo, etc. are all back on operational status and access to the lodges has been restored (according to info I have as of now).

Hope this helps.

Russell - Green Bushpig Safaris

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

Agnes,

With all due respect ...

The two website links you've provided above look quite similar, while purporting to be something they aren't (maybe a little promotion of a booking agent). Methinks a little against the rules of TripAdvisor ...

Edited: 25 January 2012, 21:32
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

Hi Bushkid,

Sorry, did not mean to promote any agent. I know that is against the rules. Just want to tell them that Pilanesberg and Madikwe is good alternatives. Will make sure in the future.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

Hey Agnes,

No problem! I know that your posts offer exceptionally good info and are always honest, balanced and fair, without any agendas. The links simply looked a little suspicious, albeit good-intentioned. I was a little intrigued when the websites didn't have addresses, phone numbers, contact details, etc., and looked like smoke screens. Most legitimate and reputable operators provide verifiable and valid contacts details.

As you probably know, there's recently been an absolute train smash regarding Island Safari.com, who went insolvent last month after settting up hundreds of websites pretending to be legimitate operators and properties, and I suspect that many millions of guest dollars have been lost, harming our industry in may wanys.

I wasn't trying to imply any intententional misleading, but try and prevent similar scenarios developing. I also agree that Pilanesberg and Madikwe are maginificent alternatives, as are the Waterberg, Soutpansberg, Limpopo and Tuli in Botswana.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
332 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

Thank you Bushkid,

As you know I am not as long as you on Tripadvisor. Still learning. I agree with you about Island Safari. We had clients on a day tour that was booked with this company. Luckily they paid with there credit cards and could get there money back. Like you said not very good for our tourism industry.

I always like your advise on tripadvisor.

scotland
Level Contributor
258 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

How about Timbavati - see www.umlani.com - we went last year and saw the big 5 most days & loads besides,

hope you get & enjoy your trip.

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alternative to Kruger National Park

what I hear, Timbavati also seems to have a problem and parts are closed.

Contact Tanya at www.africadirect.co.za for alternatives. She is up to date who is operating and who not and when they will start again.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Get answers to your questions about Kruger National Park