We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
718 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

Am new to this forum so will be grateful for Amy advice. I am visiting Kruger park at end off nth and will need an adaptor fort uk plugs. Does any one know if this can be bought at airport - heathrow or Dublin? Or do any of the major high street shops stock them? Thank you.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

Hi,

I have found it extremely hard to find SA adaptors in Germany - only sold expensive online, did not even find them at Frankfurt airport. I suppose it will be the same in the UK or Ireland.

That said, South African really need those plug adaptors, so it is very easy to find them in South Africa (e.g. supermarkets etc.). However, all the guest houses we visited had adaptors, which they had for their international guests, but I cannot say, if the National park rest camps will have them as well. Too make it short, at the end we never bought an adaptor. You might want to check a supermarket in SA before you go to Kruger or the the stores on the int. airports in South Africa.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

You can definitely buy them in the WH Smiths at Heathrow terminal 5- I bought one there in December.

I have also previously bought one in a camping type store in Johannesburg.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

You can get them in lots of stores at Heathrow, and I have also seen them in some Kruger camps (Skukuza, Oliphants etc) but I wouldn't bank on waiting until you get to SA. Either buy one at Heathrow or you could always buy one online beforehand - Amazon have loads at an average price of £4.70.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

I bought mine in a Maplin electrical store in UK, my daughter bought hers off Amazon. Most of the guest houses that we stayed at had UK adaptors but to be safe buy one before leaving.

If you have a lot of equipment to charge and don't want to buy multiple adaptors, you can buy one adaptor and take a short extension lead with 3 or 4 plugs that you may already have at home.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

Is there just one universal adaptor that works for both Zambia and SA?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

Patsy, I'm not sure there's a universal adpater that would work for all Africa. Whenever I go to Africa I carry an adapter set like this ( amazon.com/Universal-Travel-Adapter-Plug-Kit… ) and a Type M adapter [South Africa] that I purchased separately. The combination has applied in all cases and should meet the needs for Zambia. If any of your gear has a grounded plug (2 flat, one round) I also suggest you bring an adapter for that (the 3 pins down to two straight pins)

Edited: 19 March 2012, 18:27
San Diego...
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

I have a question.. I just bought a adaptor from radio Shack here in the US. It is 3 round prongs, with one being extra large... is that what it should like? It said South africa/ India. I know India is not like that because I am there all the time!

Is this the right one??? Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

Yes, the adapter I use for SA has one round prong that is larger in diameter and longer. The smaller round prongs are about 7 mm in diameter while the large one is about 9 mm.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

This is a useful web site for this type of information.

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

10. Re: Adaptor for uk to sa electricity plug

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 09:49